Asbestos ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys!

Have a ceiling to do on an extension built about 10 years ago, maybe slighly more.

It looks like some form of superlux, and have been told by the customer that he thinks its asbestos! ( Im in one of those situations, now its been said i need to act as if it is! )

He just wants its skimming over, but im unsure how to go about it? would it be best just to leave it? try a drop a suspended ceiling in below without fixing it to the ceiling? Or am i ok to whack a skim on it?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
With the right prep, you can skim over most things. If the ceiling was PVA'd first, and then skimmed over, i wouldn't see a problem with that. Different if you tried fo fix plasterboard/drill into it etc. Not a question that we've had before on here either. Ideally it should be removed,, although that'll be expensive,,,, but what do you other guys think?

agree with you RC, skimming would be fine, just prep it like normal or use WBA.

if you skim it then you aren't disturbing the asbestos at all.

also think over-boarding should be ok, minimal disturbance of the fibres by screwing into in and anything that is drawn out by screwing would be kept behind the new boards.

i think Rich C has said recently that it's now considered safe/OK to scrape back artex that could contain asbestos as scraping doesn't create the airborn nasties like sanding etc.

we need Rich really to remind us on what he said, not sure what t hread it was now.

I would also say sealing and skimming it , without disturbing it would be fine.

The only concern is that now it may be obviously asbestos, but when skimmed someone in the future may think it is just plasterboard and perhaps drill in to it to fix downlights etc or pull it down for a refurb.??

Sponsored Links
I would also say sealing and skimming it , without disturbing it would be fine.

The only concern is that now it may be obviously asbestos, but when skimmed someone in the future may think it is just plasterboard and perhaps drill in to it to fix downlights etc or pull it down for a refurb.??
im with micilin i have concerns about future owners or tennents any future work done on this ceiling could be a health hazard and as such i wouldent want to hide it being the man that i am, i would make sure its not asbestos b4 i done any work

a very good point boys! guess you just need the current owner/customer to be as conscientious and you'll be getting someone in to take it down.

Hi Guys,

Cheers for the replies!

I Understand where you are all coming from with covering up, hence my suggestion of dropping in a lower suspended ceiling, say 3" under that, plasterboard & skim that. That will allow anyone at a later date to remove (if neccesary) my plasterboard and skim, and will able to reboard or whatever, without having to touch or rip down whats up there!

Not sure what you think chaps? Any opinions on that?

Cheers for the replies guys!

Should have enough room! if not im sure i can arrange the customer to stand still whilst i get my recip saw out! :evil:

Will let you know how i get on, if any of you are interested lol :!:

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back