Asbestos in lathe ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
House was built between 1911 and 1926. Majority of the ceilings are original plaster lathe.

Survey has suggested these, the ceiling coving and walls be tested for asbestos. I chatted with the surveyor, who said he saw no evidence of, or, anything to suggest asbestos, however, prudent to test for it, as removal costs are not cheap.

This has gotten wifey scared.

I know the only way to know is to test, and we will.

However, in people's experience - what are the chances of it being used in a house / ceilings of this age?

Just curious is all.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Sponsored Links
jacko555, good evening.

Must admit I have never heard of "Asbestos" being present or incorporated into the plaster on a lath and Plaster ceiling or wall, AT ALL ! !

If the ceilings and walls have "Artex" applied then YES the Artex MAY??? contain small volumes [of generally] Chrysotile asbestos.

Many years ago, I did hear that the horse hair used in some old plasters could??? contain Anthrax, never ever heard of cases emanating from that as a source of that disease.

Could be that the "Surveyor" who suggested that the plaster be tested, NOTE not the Artex [IF PRESENT] is looking after his Professional Indemnity Insurance.

Reality Check?? If such plaster of that age were to contain Asbestos a so called ACM [Asbestos Containing Material] then all properties of a certain age with such plaster would be on a warning list and would be a well known ACM there is NO SUCH warnings are in place.

Provided there is no Artex present then your "Surveyor" is simply wrong, BIG STYLE!!!!!! --- I am being very, very politically correct here??? ---

Ken.

Thats what I thought. Its horse hair lath plaster. No artex. Original plaster ceiling moulds.

He put it in the report as "prudent to test for" but didnt sound right, hence my post!

Of course, wifey still wants the test.

I appreciate the reply. Hey ho

jacko555, hi again.

Suggest you go on to the HSE web site and see what materials contain Asbestos, there are a load, but not Horse hair plaster.

As an aside, if you do get someone in [not advised] it will cost you £££ but he will NOT test the plaster, there is no need??

Ken.

Sponsored Links
theyve gone overboard these days.
wonder they didnt ask if its got a radon barrier or check for wall tie failure. one big a7se covering excersise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back