Asbestos floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently bought a bungalow and am decorating throughout before I move in. Once I removed the old carpets I found the floors are covered with thin tiles (about 2 mm thick ) A few of these tiles cracked when the carpet grippers were removed.

A builder pointed out to me there was a good chance these tiles may contain asbestos ( house built about 1970 ) and it would probably be best to leave them there as new carpets will be fitted over them.

As a first step I thought I might put down Duck/gaffer tape around the edges of the rooms to keep the tiles in place while new carpet grippers are fitted.

1) Is this idea ok and would that be then safe enough to carpet over
2) Are there any products that would better seal the floor before laying carpets such as a thin coating of a self leveling floor solution
3) any other ideas as to how is the best way to proceed

Thanks, John

Sponsored Links
Providing the asbestos is left undisturbed it will not become airborne, which is were the risk lies. You can use glue to fix carpet grippers, you can also glue down carpet.

Thanks for that reply.

I will ask the carpet fitter what method would suit him

I just assumed fitting something like gaffer tape would hold the tiles in place and minimize disturbance when the grippers are fitted

John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back