Asbestos flue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry all, I am adding to the collection of asbestos related questions.

Over the past 2 days I've had a new boiler installed, moved upstairs etc. This leaves the old flue redundant. As it goes through the kitchen and bedroom I have removed it.

It was an asbestos cement flue which was able to come out in pieces, I dampened down the joints etc.

The bit that has now stumped me is where it connects in the attic. As per pics there is a hand sculptured flue, strengthened by string and on the inside appears to be 2 semi circles of a soft concrete. The flue that I removed fitted inside this opening.

I don't want to remove it all, I just want to replace the plasterboard where the hole is, but sadly the bottom part of the flue is about 1" in the way. I can't seem to find any information on this part of the flue and the materials it's made of, and wondered if anyone could shed any light.

Thanks,
Chris.

View media item 50921 View media item 50922 View media item 50923

Sponsored Links
That looks seriously like the most dangerous type of asbestos which has been added as insulation to the flue!

Without a lab analysis costing about £99 its not possible to tell. If it is what I suspect the correct procedure is to make your loft a no-go area and seal the loft hatch with yellow/black tape and lots of warning notices! Then engage a licenced asbestos removal company to remove and test the loft afterwards. That usually starts at about £1200 !

Neighbours may be able to advise also the EHO at council!

You MIGHT be able to reclaim the cost from the seller if they sold the property without advising you IF they knew about it.

Tony Glazier

As Tony says that does look nasty, the string you mention is likely to be asbestos rope usually high in asbestos content and very friable.

It's very unusual to find plastered on coatings in domestic premises lets hope it's something else, but it does not look good.

This is definately something to get a professional to sample.

Please let us know how you get on.

Best wishes,
footprints

Thanks both for your replies. I have got a chap coming round who is listed on my councils website. I'll keep you posted.

Sponsored Links
You dont say why he is coming?

Be aware that quotes vary VERY widely!

One senario I was involved with produced quotes of:-

£11,000

£3500

£1500 All plus VAT.

The cheap one probably had a day with no work scheduled and two guys did it from 0800 until 1500 !

Just think how much the £11,000 quote would have earnt from that job!

Tony

I've just had the asbestos contractor round.

He said it's definitely not asbestos. They've just plastered round the semi circle slabs that have been manufactured the same as breeze blocks. The string too isnt asbestos.

Thanks all for your advice.
Chris.

Great news, glad to hear it!
Best wishes,
footprints

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back