Asbestos in chimney boarding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can this be asbestos? A builder said it definitely is, but our buildings survey did not identify it (he did identify in a different outbuilding, a garden shed). I am very scared now.. it's right there in the living room. We are planning to redecorate soon but still..

20200106_212016.jpg
20200106_212016.jpg
20200106_212002.jpg
20200106_211955.jpg

Sponsored Links
i dont know what it is.
why not have the appliance disconnected, & then simply unscrew the board, and dispose of it ref your local council's advice?
the board is probably fixed to a wood framework in the fireplace opening.
the framework can be used for any new arrangement if required.

A builder or no-one can say for definite that it is asbestos or not. It may or may not be, and the only way to tell is to have a piece sampled under a microscope.

The glittery bits (if that's what they are) would indicate a more modern non-asbestos product, but it's not possible to say from a photo.

Sponsored Links
i dont know what it is.
why not have the appliance disconnected, & then simply unscrew the board, and dispose of it ref your local council's advice?
the board is probably fixed to a wood framework in the fireplace opening.
the framework can be used for any new arrangement if required.
Sorry, crap advice.

If that is asbestos, then its AIB - the more hazardous type, and the last thing anyone wants to be doing is unscrewing it or moving it until its known what it is.

And no gas fitter should be removing an appliance, and potentially disturbing it unless the material is known.

And AIB can't be disposed of at a council tip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back