Asbestos in Heating Cupboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone,

I am just in the process of getting my heating potentially upgraded.

I have old-style warm ducted air and noticed some material in the heater cupboard (see pictures below).

Could anyone tell me if this is asbestos?

Furthermore the material around the grilles into the cupboard looks to be in poor condition, is this something to be concerned with? i.e.. will the material be sucked in by the heater and blown around the property?

The property is a 1965 flat. I have not touched anything since I purchased the property.

Many Thanks,

Rob

View media item 52155
View media item 52156
View media item 52158

Sponsored Links
Theres a good chance it's asbestos, no way of knowing without testing.

Use Glue on the broken edges to seal the fibres back in.

Door will be easy to dispose of as it can be removed from the hinges, i would also be testing the walls and ceiling of the cupboard itself as the chances are high that the whole thing is lined with asbestos especially if its a 60s property.

Certainly looks like aib asbestos insulating board paint it as long as its encapsulated shouldn't pose any risk.
Only way to prove though is testing as posted above

Sponsored Links
If your warm air unit doesn't have a positive return air path and the air is drawn straight into the top of the unit (as most were in the 60's) from within the cupboard, then there is a chance that particles have been blown about.
If the return air is correctly ducted and comes from outside the cupboard then I would not be concerned. Get the liner tested and removed.

I wouldnt bother getting rid, that'll cost money to test etc. Just seal up the broken edges, done.

I looks like chrysotile [white] which is the least dangerous type and so long as it isn't broken indoors shouldn't cause a problem. If I was in the same situation I would coat it with heat resistant paint and leave it.

Probably is asbestos, although you cant tell what type it is just by looking at it!
I'd remove the door and double bag it and then the local council should pick it up for free!

Thanks for all the responses.

So it certainly seems to be asbestos :cry: I truly hope is only the white asbestos and not the brown.

Should I be concerned that I have been in the property 3 1/2 years?

I never noticed this panel until a couple of weeks ago, I would not be concerned apart from the condition the material looks like around the grilles (unless is was cut like that in the first place).

I presume that if the material had been flush with the grilles, an awful lot of material has been discharged?

Cheers,

Rob

Why worry about it now? Any damage is done. Seal it up and move on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back