Warm Air Heating Usage & Removal - Extremely Worried about Abestos Exposure

These WAUs can have asbestos material within the unit as a small vertical panel at the side of the heat unit or a horizontal sheet lower down above the plenum chamber or as rope or putty on the duct or flue pipe. And these will tend to be the more hazardous AIB.

Some may have none within but a panel on the cupboard door or ceiling - again AIB

It really depends on the model, and installation crew or area of the UK

The duct work is invariably metal with glass fibre wool wrap and no asbestos, but sometimes an outer casing used to hide the duct can be AIB

Sponsored Links
Thanks.
I asked for some clarity on where the visually Identified asbestos is and to me it reads that actually the asbestos is within the cupboard only and not across the whole ducting work which would make things easier as we could have the asbestos removed and then just block in all the ducting and leave it where it is and get a new heating system put in. We can always have the ducting in the loft removed if we wanted at some point.
See picture for section of the report that adds more detail as to where asbestos is and also some pictures they hadn’t put on the original report.

Attachments

• 2CFD5D0E-F53E-4D81-B89A-2FCF39DC1A0D.png
    2CFD5D0E-F53E-4D81-B89A-2FCF39DC1A0D.png
    422 KB · Views: 101
Im afraid the survey you paid for could have been written by someone reading a book, your flue is not asbestos, you have no asbestos in your attic that has anything to do with the heating, I have installed and worked on many hundreds of WAUs and never have I heard of asbestos sheeting behind plaster, many compartments are asbestos lined , but this is simply cutting asbestos boards and lining the cupboard enclosure befor the WAU is then installed, none of the ducting will be asbestos

Yes the ducting isn’t asbestos and it’s only confirmed in the door (from testing). I just meant. Getting the ducting taken out at some point so it’s not just dead weight and taking up space that could be used for storage.

Sponsored Links
No there are some ducts I’m assuming in the loft space as the vents for the warm air system are in the ceilings upstairs rather than the floors. There will be a flue but I don’t think that’s asbestos.

Neither the flue or the ducts are asbestos, only the enclosure , so remove it if you want , the enclosure lining is a different thing, if that has been confirmed as asbestos , that needs to be removed and disposed of properly, you cant DIY it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back