Warm Air Heating Removal - Asbestos risk?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm after some advice from the pro's / those with experience of removing a warm air central heating system.

I'm in the process of purchasing a late '60's house which has warm air heating which we will be replacing with a conventional radiator system. In what areas do we need to be cautious regarding asbestos?

I understand the boiler cupboard can sometimes be lined with asbestos and the flue could well be asbestos cement. The main question is will the ducts which deliver the warm air to each room be made of or insulated with the stuff?

The ducts are my primary concern as obviously then run throughout the entire building and I'm likely to disturb them doing other diy tasks.

I look forward to hearing your wisdom!

Sponsored Links
Parts of the boiler also might contain asbestos. Post GC Number and we can tell you.

dont really matter alan as he will have to get a licenced contractor to remove it

methinks get a survey done :idea:

theres still plenty of it in schools :eek:

Parts of the boiler also might contain asbestos. Post GC Number and we can tell you.

Thanks. I'll take a look next time we are there. I know it is a Johnson Starley model and it was apparently only installed 8 or 9 years ago. Was asbestos banned by then?

Sponsored Links
Ducting will be metal. flue can usually be removed without breaking it and the asbestos IF any within the appliance will be on gasket material which there is no need to disturb to remove appliance
And if the compartment door has asbestos sheeting on it this can be removed along with the door in one piece or just painted over and left in place

Ducting will be metal. flue can usually be removed without breaking it and the asbestos IF any within the appliance will be on gasket material which there is no need to disturb to remove appliance
And if the compartment door has asbestos sheeting on it this can be removed along with the door in one piece or just painted over and left in place

The 'boiler' itself will be being removed by a pro anyway, along with the entire cupboard in which it lives. Hopefully any asbestos in there was replaced with supalux when the unit was replaced, but I will have a chat with whoever is going to take it out and try to make sure I get someone who takes this stuff seriously!

Good news about the ducting as I will remove the majority of this myself (where we don't just leave it in place and ignore it). Is it normally insulated atall? Should I expect it to be wrapped in anything? (Asbestos based or otherwise).

Thank you for all the help so far guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back