1979 house with warm air central heating - asbestos risk?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I really need some advice on warm air system and the asbestos risk. We are currently in the process of buying a house with a warm air system (not fussed about that) but we have had the survey and inspection done and they said that there could be asbestos on the inside of the duct work that carries the warm air.

Is this a strong possibility as im currently at 50 / 50 on yes and no's.

Also help the wife calm down :rolleyes:

Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
Quite likely on the flue system.

Possible to line the box where the boiler is installed.

But this is likely to be asbestos cement which is only a very minor risk.

Tony

You could be clever and ask the vendor if there is any asbestos in the property associated with the heating system.

Not very likely in the hot air ducting but still possible.

Tony

Tony

Thanks the survey pointed out that the flue was asbestos but not too concerned with that but the wife is worried that we would be breathing in loads of asbestos etc.

Chris

Sponsored Links
None of that is any risk at all a long as you dont damage the asbestos and create dust!

Tony

As already advised yes asbestos flues and asbestos lining of the compartment but I have never heard of asbestos lining in any ducts , if you look inside the registers (grills for the outlets ) with a torch you should be able to see what the ducts are made of , I have only ever seen metal ducts

I think that the risks of asbestos was well known by about 1975 and would expect its use after that date to be limited to flues with some asbestos cement sheeting on compartments for perhaps just a few years afterwards.

Problem the safe non asbestos sheeting looks about the same and cannot be identified without the expensive testing.

Its a great pity they did jot have the sense to put some permanent mark on the non asbestos sheeting and tiles!

Tony

Hi chris

I live and work in an area that was a huge WAU install area in the day and as already stated I have never seen asbestos in a duct system, you will be fine mate, some people love WAU not saying that I do but your health regarding asbestosis will be fine, unlike us guys that used to fit the flue and cut the boards to line the cupboards, we are fecked it takes about 30 years to show up so if we have it then too late for worrying about it

Tony

Thanks the survey pointed out that the flue was asbestos but not too concerned......

Chris

I would be more concerned about a 35 year old cement flue still being in a reasonable condition but not because of the asbestos. You won't be the first or last person to have your boiler chopped a week after moving in because it's falling apart......did a lot of chops on these myself just like that.

They are heavy flues and often badly installed in the first place, if you do buy it make sure you have a good inspection done within the timescale of any clauses in the missives so you can claim it back against the previous owner.

Tony

Thanks the survey pointed out that the flue was asbestos but not too concerned......

Chris

I would be more concerned about a 35 year old cement flue still being in a reasonable condition but not because of the asbestos. You won't be the first or last person to have your boiler chopped a week after moving in because it's falling apart......did a lot of chops on these myself just like that.

They are heavy flues and often badly installed in the first place, if you do buy it make sure you have a good inspection done within the timescale of any clauses in the missives so you can claim it back against the previous owner.

Nickso

Thanks for the information.

You sound like someone who has done a lot of these, could you give me any advice of what kind of clause or what price you think that it would cost for new unit with a flue?

Thanks

Chris

Not sure about England but in Scotland you get 7 days from receiving the keys, why not put in an offer subject to a survey of the heating system and pay for an experienced WAU engineer to have a look ? if you put the post code of the property into the Gas safe register website under the find an engineer part all local engineers with WAU qualifications will show up

Asbestos in cupboards very common, asbestos in flues almost always.

Asbestos in duct work yes, I have seen it just the once in some purpose built flats in Dulwich as I recall struck me as total lunacy, even though when I saw these in the 80' when there was little concern about existing asbestos.

My own opinion has changed radically in later years since losing a friend (who only worked with "safe" white asbestos) to mesothelioma.

As said fairly easy to identify the material ductwork is made of but it may involve removing a couple of grilles to inspect them.

Edit,
If your wife is worried and there is some asbestos in flues or paneling I would just forget it, and look elsewhere why have her worrying about it, just not worth the distress it might cause.

Tony

Chris

Nickso

Thanks for the information.

You sound like someone who has done a lot of these, could you give me any advice of what kind of clause or what price you think that it would cost for new unit with a flue?

Thanks

Chris

I'll start by saying am not in the trade anymore by almost a year but I had thousands of the hateful things on my patch.

You probably do not want a new WAU if the current one or it's flue is goosed....they are expensive and IMO pointless in the current market. New ones are room sealed at least and don't get nearly as manky as the open flue turds.

I am also in Scotland and up here there is an almost standard 5 working day clause in the missives that protects against heating defects. Sometimes the duration or scope of the clause will differ depending on the property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back