Replacing Warm Air Central Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking at buying a house with warm air central heating.

From some basic research I gather they have asbestos in them and are expensive to remove.

I would want to replace it with a combi boiler and rads.

Does anyboy know a rough idea of how much it would cost to remove the old system and replace with combi and rads?

any advice appreciated.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Not all contain asbestos. Removing the appliance is fairly simple and if it contains no asbestos then it's easily recycled. The flue however, may well contain asbestos in the form of Urastone pipe or similar. A few pics would assist in providing a better answer.

As above it is more likely the flue that will be asbestos, some warm air units do contain asbestos but not all of them, even if it is an asbestos flue they are usually easily removed safely but you wont be able to do it yourself safely

but you wont be able to do it yourself safely

You can DIY safely, just use precautions available on a web search such as damping down the old flue to prevent dust flying about.

I used a so called licensed asbestos remover, and I was expecting sealed rooms and damping down while the work was ongoing, but saw none of that.

The old flue was ripped out while I was 2 metres away with no warning of possible risks. Cost me £500 and was a complete joke.

Sponsored Links
All of the very few quotes that I have been asked to give to convert a warm air to a wet system have been in properties with a construction that did not allow an easy positioning of a gas boiler.

The problems were that the outside walls were all non solid infill panels rather than load bearing brick. One had all glass outside walls!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back