Warm Air Vent Heating to Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am in the process of buying a house with gas heating, but with warm air vents, opposed to radiators.

Does anyone have a clue re how much it would cost, and how simple it is to convert from warm air heating to gas central heating with radiators?

Apparently the boiler is already installed so it would just be converting to radiators.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it has a warm ar unit then a full CH system is required and depending on the house size might be about £3000-£5000.

Removing the warm air ducts would require considerable making good and redecorating.

Tony

car_clilverd said:
Hi

I am in the process of buying a house with gas heating, but with warm air vents, opposed to radiators.

Does anyone have a clue re how much it would cost, and how simple it is to convert from warm air heating to gas central heating with radiators?

Apparently the boiler is already installed so it would just be converting to radiators.

Thanks

Why would you want to do that? Forced air is superior in many respects. Just get the system updated. The new units are a world away from the old crocks used in council houses. They have, electrostatic air filters, modulating fans and burners etc. They can cool in the summer by circulating air around. New grills and registers a can be fitted to smarted the place up and still no ugly rads to leak.

Forced air is the norm in the USA. I would not replace it at all. For DHW I would install a Rinnai multi-point.

Sponsored Links
Doctor Drivel said:
car_clilverd said:
Hi

Thanks

Why would you want to do that? Forced air is superior in many respects. Just get the system updated. The new units are a world away from the old crocks used in council houses. They have, electrostatic air filters, modulating fans and burners etc. They can cool in the summer by circulating air around. New grills and registers a can be fitted to smarted the place up and still no ugly rads to leak.

Forced air is the norm in the USA. I would not replace it at all. For DHW I would install a Rinnai multi-point.

Thanks! You have reassured me that they are OK to live with!!!!

Yes I'd agree it has potential for a decent system if the unit could have air conditioning built in for the summer, but at the moment domestic systems in the main are pretty rubbish keeping dust in suspension, big horrible grilles and vents everywhere, open flues, expensive parts, virtually impossible to extend. Yuck.

I have to agree that the new units i have seen have been very good.

But on same note the old ones are really bad ,had it in my first house thought id just sort it out and live with it ,but 3 weeks later it was the skip.

gas4you said:
Hope you're not allergic to dust mites :LOL:

Note: electrostatic air filters Suitable for asthmatics.

It is ignorance like this that suppresses one of the best heating systems. A twin duct system, well designed and balanced is brilliant. Modern units are world away from the old garbage.

ollski said:
Yes I'd agree it has potential for a decent system if the unit could have air conditioning built in for the summer, but at the moment domestic systems in the main are pretty rubbish keeping dust in suspension, big horrible grilles and vents everywhere, open flues, expensive parts, virtually impossible to extend. Yuck.

You are on about old systems, The new are world away from that.

You can have units with copper coils that are heated via a boiler, the boiler can be a combi or heat a cylinder or whatever. Fresh air ventilation & heat recovery can be incorporated too. If I was building a house I would design one of these systems into it. Ducts in walls, floors etc. Brilliant.

pampers said:
I have to agree that the new units i have seen have been very good.

But on same note the old ones are really bad ,had it in my first house thought id just sort it out and live with it ,but 3 weeks later it was the skip.

All you need do was buy another unit. They just drop in on the plenum where the old was. Uprate the grills/registers too. Many of these system are ripped out because of ignorance by plumbers. Plumbers do not understand these things - not their field.

as much as i hate agreeing with doctor drivel he is right on the new WAU's being better from a dust and servicing point of view.

no matter what you do the grilles and such are still ugly....but plenty say that about rads. the grilles/ducts are also a pain in arse when extending the house.

i dont mind servicing the new ones but im on a mission to clip as many of the old ones as possible. :evil:

lol, I also like to imagine a world with no old WAU (saying that I imagine a world where everyone has a linea cos its the law)

I though WAU, even the new ones were still very inefficient? gas->output wise,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back