warm air heating - hate it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I live in a ground floor council flat with a warm air heating system by Johnson and starley. The council recently carried out a safety check on it. Last year the flat above me bad co2 poisoning and they replaced her warm air with central heating radiators. I am worried that because the flue passes through to the above flat, when they took out her warm air heating, would they have blocked the flue which may possibly be connected to the flue from my heating system?

Please help! I am a single mum with two young children. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
The council has a duty of care. Express your concerns to them. Also about the double glazing issue you mentioned elsewhere.

I wonder if you have a CO detector fitted? They are cheap to buy. Think about it.

Thanks for your replies.
I will contact the council tomorrow.
Yes I have an electronic carbon monoxide detector and it hasn't detected anything.

Sponsored Links
Hi. I live in a ground floor council flat with a warm air heating system by Johnson and starley. The council recently carried out a safety check on it. Last year the flat above me bad co2 poisoning and they replaced her warm air with central heating radiators. I am worried that because the flue passes through to the above flat, when they took out her warm air heating, would they have blocked the flue which may possibly be connected to the flue from my heating system?

Please help! I am a single mum with two young children. Thank you.

You are getting completely mixed up you can not possibly get CO2 poisoning bad or otherwise and your flue would never be combined with your neighbours flue

The landlord is required to have a safety check on your property every year and to give you a copy of the Certificate!

Do you have this?

Tony

The landlord is required to have a safety check on your property every year and to give you a copy of the Certificate!

Do you have this?

Tony

Hi
Yes they gave me a certificate. It said the system is satisfactory but the defect is flue passes through flat above, no access, termination satisfactory.

That's not a problem for you to worry about, it's a newish requirement that wherever a flue runs in a void and can't be inspected that it's listed as at risk. But the risk in this case is more to the people living in the above flat than it is to you.

That's not a problem for you to worry about, it's a newish requirement that wherever a flue runs in a void and can't be inspected that it's listed as at risk. But the risk in this case is more to the people living in the above flat than it is to you.

Not on open flue it isn't. New Flue in Void rules only cover Room Sealed Fan Flued appliances. Assuming this appliance is open flue.

If the OP is in any doubt, just get the council out to look at it and ask lots of stupid questions while the guy is there.

Also tell us the make of your CO alarm. Some of them are not fit for purpose.

Hi Nickso

Thank u for your reply.

My co detector is first alert from b&q.

Which ones.?[/quote]

Exactly what I wanted to ask. Which ones?

If it has CE mark and is to British Standard EN 50291 then what could be wrong with it?

Although I know I would recommend Honeywell or Fireangel just because I am familiar with these.

I don't use anything but Honeywell myself. Some of the cheaper ones are supposedly not great.

not uncommon in some 60/70s flats to have wau on u or se duct, so they would have blocked your neighbours flue into the duct but the duct will be open still, nothing to worry about

The co alarm I have is first alert, model no CO-FA-9BQ. It also has a BSEN no.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back