warm air replacement

Sponsored Links
I'm really taken with the idea of fitting a/c along with the warm air though!

If you can have ventilation incorporated then go for that instead. Ventilation (fresh air) sells. Well a/c sell a place as well. I don't know why, but bells and whistles sell. I have never needed a/c as it never gets that hot.

I'm really taken with the idea of fitting a/c along with the warm air though!

If you can have ventilation incorporated then go for that instead. Ventilation (fresh air) sells. Well a/c sell a place as well. I don't know why, but bells and whistles sell. I have never needed a/c as it never gets that hot.

i didn't look at it with a view to selling or making more saleable, my first thought on carying out work in the home is purely selfish, i have it because we want it and if it's financialy viable (we did, obviously, consider the cost of a huge extension, and decided as we weren't sure how long we were staying, that it wasn't justifiable in terms of added value, and hence now we are moving)
As for the a/c, it wasn't a need, more of a luxury. I doubt it would make a home more saleable. more like the other way round, i can remember when people were put off buying cars with a/c, due to the increase in runing costs and extra servicing requirements, now look, we won't buy one with out it, almost can't live without it. Any how J & S have told me they don't fit a/c to their units, simply because of the restriction the evaporator puts on the air flow, they say that a system should be designed for a/c and when they have tried on existing systems it didn't work well, poor try i say, there is always a solution to a problem like this.

Sponsored Links
In a wet system the TRV turns the rad on full until the room is warm. Rads warm mostly by convection, not radiation!

To state something radiates, doesn't imply it heats by radiation, so my english was correct after all.

I think that I would disagree with your use of English then!

There are many things that we have named with words that do not correctly define their operation sometimes this was before their operation was fully appreciated. Vaccuum cleaner and central heating pump come to mind.

Tony

Eh a radiator is called a radiator because it radiates heat out not because of how it gets hot in the first place

I said they were slow to radiate the heat, but , most of the heat is by convection, however the english language allows for the use of radiate to describe heat coming off of it, whether it is radiation or not, i looked it up in a dictionary, just out of curiosity as it "sounds" right. You can say "the warmth radiated from it" without implying it has left "it" by radiation.

I think I must be bored!

There are many things that we have named with words that do not correctly define their operation sometimes this was before their operation was fully appreciated. Vaccuum cleaner and central heating pump come to mind.

Tony

Language is the understanding of a use of noises, to describe something etc. the ability to be understood renders the "wrong" words to be correct, hence language is always evolving, i know the vaccuum cleaner is a Hoover, what is the wrong word for a central heating pump? I would call it just that, you probably have name "in the trade", one that springs to my mind is shock absorbers, which are technicaly dampers, but we all know what they are, so it works, how many times do you here a warm air unit called a boiler?

A Hoover is just one brand of suction cleaner. There is no vaccuum in a cleaner but there is in a Thermos flask ( os vaccuum flask as it should be called ).

Radiators were given their name before anyone thought of what they do. The usual ones with fins on the back are now called convector ( radiators ).

A central heating "pump" is really a "circulator" as it circulates the water but does not pump anything.

Tony

With warm air installation there are a lot less people tht hold the relevant certs to install/service/repair.

I do have them but it is a rare occurance that i replace a unit nowadays.(i use to be a J&S subby)

the thing with replacing the units are- things have changed since they were installed. You now have to have a ducted return air supply, a lot of older installation did not they just had a vent in the wall and the top of the unit left open. No this caused serious problem - flue reversal for one.

As you unit is out dated years ago there might not be a direct replacement for it meaning that the plenum will have to be replaced to suit the new unit,the return air ducted(comes as a kit) and you will also need a 22mm gas supply to within 1 Meter of the appliance as of the installation and use act 1996. especiall if you want to have the water circulator added to the unit.

To connect the cylinder is not to big a job flow and return to the heater, header tank if not fitted and a new water cylinder(depends what is fitted already)

with out seeing it it would roughly cost £ 800 for unit £200 for water heater. £250 for plenum and return air kit. appprox £100 for 20metres of copper . £200 for pump and motorized valve,automatic bypass and a thermostat to control the heating side, and about £50 for radiators. but all radiators must be fitted with thermostatic valve also add on fittings and sundries. (all including VAT) Before any mark up usually 20%

As for labour i charge £450 for 8 hours per day(8 hrs) per man.

Depending on what is required 1-2 days for 2 guys. Providing that there is no sign of the flue or compartment having asbestos material present(they use to fit asbestos flues and line the compartments with asbestos boards. you then require a cert before anybody will work in there)

As for a wet system (condensing combi)that is what people usually get us to install and take away the air unit( you either love or hate the dust they produce) and we charge approx 2K for installation and removing all of the old stuff.

hope this helps.

remember to check that whoever installes it is gas safe registered and qualified to work on Ducted Air Heaters

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back