Warm Air Heating smells of Onions?? Why

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All, I have warm air heating (Johnson and Starley) through my 1970's town house. For the last couple of years there have been a very strong fried onion smell :eek: coming through the bathroom vent, the heating unit was replaced last year and this continued.

We initally though it was because the neighbours were cooking lots of lovely curries and we were getting that smell, but we have a new set of neightbours, so it's not that either.

The warm air tubing runs up to the top of the house and then back down, so the bathroom is probably the first room to get warm air pumped to it.

Could anyone have any idea what this is.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't know about the onions but my guess would be the fan motor
is starting to burn out and you are smelling arcing or some such.

Warm air isn't something to mess about with. It is far more dangerous than
a wet central heating system.
It is very important to have it serviced and checked regularly.

fried onions?

ring transco, and get them to investigate. iif there is a problem they will isolate. it wil be up to you to get it repaired if there is a problem.

transco is 0800 111 999

Sponsored Links
I am quite happy with the warm air Thanks. :eek: Always been reliable and never had a problem with it, our hot water boiler has been plagued with issues, so I am unlikely to ever want to put a wet system in.

It is a new unit (less than 10 months old) and the smell was there with the old 40year old unit which was serviced every year so I am confident it is not the J&S heater. It's most noticeable in the mornings.

I wondered if anyone was experienced in warm air heating and had come across this before. I think it it something to do with the ducting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back