warm air replacement

Wolfman you obviously know better than the pro's just like a hypocondriac knows better than a gp.

Having worked on both systems for many years I can say warm air is crap. A system boiler and unvented cyl would best suit your needs or a cheaper option would be a combi (a good combi correctly installed is very reliable, a cheap one badly installed is not).

I have replaced many w.a.u's with wet systems and the customers have been delighted with the new systems and cannot praise them enough)

You get what you pay for.

Sponsored Links
Not at all, I know people with combi systems, they seem to be problematic, and the performance of wet systems i've had has been quite poor, slow to warm up, can't keep up when cold weather hits etc.

My first thoughts were to get rid of the warm air and have rads, then i recalled having warm air as a kid, (but electric) this was converted to gas and was extremely reliable, economical and not too noisy.

i did a bit of research, on line, spoke to people who have had it, and still got it, thought about it from an engineering point of view,(simple and logical) considered the cost (one company suggest replacements from around £1500).

So what am I looking for, I want a heating system with a quick warm up time, capable of keeping up when temp drops well below freezing (I have no back up fire in new house), i want it to be efficient and reliable. All my research suggest a modern unit will beat a wet system in every aspect and has a significant cost saving ( one downside is the water heating and difficulty adding onto). i have the resource to pay for a full wet system (i expect this to cost £5-6000) and if i could see an advantage worthy of the extra cost and out waying the need for horrible pipe work and radiators, then this is the way i would go, but i won't throw the warmair away because it is not fashionable.

Look at the rinnai twin flow. Excellent hot water delivery, and the boiler is far more reliable than any w.a.u. Add weather compensation and intelligent controls all fitted including labour under £5k and will last around 20 years being 96% efficent. Heats up from cold in under 10 minutes and can cope with any outside temp if you size the rads correctly.

http://www.rinnaiuk.com/Updates-18-09-08/A4 Twin Flow.pdf

ok wolfiebaby update your wau for a new one.

and fit a gas fired multipoint water heater

simples

Sponsored Links
apologies again i thought it was either/or

water heater

system boiler

or water heater and system boiler!!!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=659805&page=2

Check this out

check out some tightwad moneysaving members of the public and a w.a.u manufacturer employee saying how great they are?

where are you wolfie ill fit 12 rads an unvented cylinder and a boiler for 8k :rolleyes: :LOL:

Let us know how many people live at your house and what your usual hot water demand times are

I will have to disagree with some RGIs here. A warm air unit will last longer and in most cases will be more reliable than any wet system. Not only is there overall more components to fail on a wet system, but the inevitable onset of corrosion contributes to the downfall of many components causing to become more and more unreliable with time, something which won't happen with warm air. They are more reliable and will last up to twice as long. However..............I still wouldn't install one, simply because I can't see a future for domestic warm air, and I don't want my customer coming to me in 8 years time and asking me why they can't get a part for the thing. Also as I stated earlier, direct replacement isn't always very beneficial, unless the existing unit is in a good location and the ducting has been well planned, and has stood the test of time, this is usually never. As for new build? Warm air is definately not the answer, anyone building a new house would be an idiot not to future proof the house by installing underfloor heating, which can be run from a multitude of renewable technologies.

where are you wolfie ill fit 12 rads an unvented cylinder and a boiler for 8k :rolleyes: :LOL:

Let us know how many people live at your house and what your usual hot water demand times are

I'll bet you would!

Robbery and daylight spring to mind

I will have to disagree with some RGIs here. A warm air unit will last longer and in most cases will be more reliable than any wet system. Not only is there overall more components to fail on a wet system, but the inevitable onset of corrosion contributes to the downfall of many components causing to become more and more unreliable with time, something which won't happen with warm air. They are more reliable and will last up to twice as long. However..............I still wouldn't install one, simply because I can't see a future for domestic warm air, and I don't want my customer coming to me in 8 years time and asking me why they can't get a part for the thing. Also as I stated earlier, direct replacement isn't always very beneficial, unless the existing unit is in a good location and the ducting has been well planned, and has stood the test of time, this is usually never. As for new build? Warm air is definately not the answer, anyone building a new house would be an idiot not to future proof the house by installing underfloor heating, which can be run from a multitude of renewable technologies.

Some good points, best argument i have heard for not having warm air, and worthy of some thought when deciding.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=659805&page=2

Check this out

check out some tightwad moneysaving members of the public and a w.a.u manufacturer employee saying how great they are?

Your views have no more credability.

seeing as I do it for a living day in day out with all the relevant certificates and registrations I think I'm more qualified than some pennypinchers on a website and a biased employee of a w.a.u company. Obviously you know best though. . . . .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back