bury pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi im moving in to a house with a concrete floor and im having the existing warm air heating removed and replaced with a combi central heating system. is there anything that can be done to bury the pipes in the wall for the new rads? or any other way round it?

bobby

Sponsored Links
Why does everybody seem to want to bury pipes in the wall? :confused:
If you get a leakyou will be in trouble, and plaster will crack if not done properly.
Why not have them surface mounted inside a Guildflex plastic cover.
Only cost you a fiver each and will be a lot easier than chasing walls out :D

so do the drops in hep

then when you drill thro them to hang the pic the wife want's just there

post back and we will tell you how to repair it ;)

Sponsored Links
Bobby_Dazzler said:
Hi im moving in to a house with a concrete floor and im having the existing warm air heating removed and replaced with a combi central heating system. is there anything that can be done to bury the pipes in the wall for the new rads? or any other way round it?

bobby

I have a customer whose warm air system is nearly 40 years old, no leaks, no blockages, no problem. Why on earth do you want to take out an inherently problem free system to replace it with a COMBI??????. Insane or what?

I have to agree with oilman, warm air systems are more efficient, apparently.

If you want to chase out your walls hire a big fella and give him a new electricians chisel and a lump hammer. Or a very fusy fella who comes equiped with a purpose made wall chaser and a big vacumm cleaner which attaches.

the building regs state only 1/3 of depth of inler leaf of cavity to be removed in the vertical plane, only 1/6 in horizontal.

Had a warm air system in a house i purchased, First thing I did was rip it out, apart from the layer of dust that floats through the air every time it switches on and the hot and cold blasts every 5mins, where does one hang the washing :LOL:

But fit a combi NO I'll leave that to ped

People seem to be in two camps over warm air heating... some of my customers adore their 30yo warm air system, I also get others who have just moved in and hate it and want it replaced (I've only had one so far that lived with it for many years and wanted it replaced with a wet system, to my knowlage)

cold blasts? your fan stat set correctly? :LOL:

Heater would switch in at say 23C and quickly raise the room temp to 28C, the stat would then shut off and wait 10mins for the room stat to drop back to 23C and repeat the cycle.

Personally I dont think it was sized or fitted very well, and modern industrial units are pretty dam good and have the advantage of cooling if required

I thought the vaguely modern ones had an Economaire(?) system so the heat o/p is modulated and you don't get blasts of anything except when wrming up. Some of the filter systems are pretty darned good now too. In the States they do it all properly with kit the size of a commercal laundry, heat recovery and all that stuff.
I lived in a 3 storey town house for a bit, all the ducts and registers were in the middle which was krap, basically. But I'd far rather have a really good warm air system than anything with water in it.

Why a combi in stead of a 40 year old system? Do you still drive your Morris Minor? True, if a Minor does not starty you can crank it up by hand. Me? I am happy in the 21st century with the advantages of modern technology.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back