Asbestos....old council house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We bought an old council house built in the fifties early last year...There's 3 worksheds adjoining the house with a 3 ft walkway/alley in between ( All the house in the row are like this with 3 outbuildings )

Ive just used them for storage a the moment but am not sure about the paint thats on the walls inside them...Its really white and thick ( very old obviously ) and where its gone realy dry in patches its dusty...Now that part is freaking me out as when renovating we found numerous small pieces of asbestos ( 2" by 2" etc )

Anyway could this be asbestos paint ? The only time i go in the sheds now for mower , paint etc i wear a mask ...If this is asbestos paint ( and it could well be ) how the hell do i get rid of it...were talking 12 walls in all ( 3 sheds ) some are quite big 9ft sq...

Anyone had any experience with this stuff...obviously i dont want the council out but i have been in neighbours and noticed it in all of their sheds too...plus some of their sheds still have asbestos sheets on the roofs which they have then covered over with pvc covers...HMMM i can hear u say...me too....whats my options ?

Sponsored Links
What are you saying your shed walls are made of ?. Asbestos only really becomes dangerous when it becomes powdery? the old check was push a key through it, and it dangerous

I don't know of any councils (or anyone else) who would use asbestos paint (if indeed such a thing exists) on a domestic property - what purpose would it serve?. Sheets yes, but paint no.

Years of emulsion would be thick and powdery when dry and old

Some old 'Artex' textured coatings may contain asbestos though.

You can get the stuff tested to be sure, but then what? Does it really need removing if it contains asbestos?

You can paint over it with normal emulsion and this wil seal in any powdery areas. This is an acceptable treatment recoomended by most if not all councils

Ive just been reading articles on sprayed on asbestos paint especially outdoors for waterproofing.....i will have a good chat with neighbour ..he's a sound guy ...coming over on friday for a few beers and see what he says...he's lived here for 25 yrs so should have some idea...

Hope it is emulsion..make my life a lot easier

All the best

Sponsored Links
I recall my father used to use this stuff. If my memory is correct it is "White Wash"

Its made from calcium hydroxide.

I remember my dad used to paint the rocks in his rockery with it. He used to buy it from a local buiolders merchants some 30 odd years ago.

I seem to remember it came as a powder that you mixed with water.

EDIT

Ah here you go, a little info about it

http://www.answers.com/topic/whitewash[/u]

whitewash or snowcem ...that used to be powder form ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back