asbestos on my garage floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

my garage roof is covered with sheeting that's part asbestos, is pretty sound and doesn't appear to be degrading/crumbling (click on pics for bigger size):

when it rains heavily however water does appear to seep through as you can see from following pic. what then happens is a white residue appears:

and a close up:

although I'm led to believe this type of sheeting has a relatively small % of asbestos in it, and the less harmful type at that, I'm concerned that the white residue might be asbestos that's been released from the sheeting as water penetrates.

possible or it is simply a type of mold caused by the moisture? I do intend to replace the roofing but not until next year when pennies allow!

Sponsored Links
As a VERY GENERAL rule and I stress the VERY GENERAL any property constructed post 2000 will in all probability NOT contain any Asbestos or supposedly and Cement bound Asbestos.

Sponsored Links
thanks all, I've googled salt leaching and it looks like that so my mind's been put at ease! garage would have been built mid-late 80's and when surveyed they said the sheets were part asbestos.

thanks again for feedback.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back