Over-cladding Corrugated Asbestos Garage Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1950s pre-fabricated garage with a corrugated asbestos roof. The roof appears to be structurally sound, but seems to have become porous in places and I get a large amount of water dripping in some areas: some of this may be condensation, although I cannot be sure.

Rather than replacing it altogether, largely due to the cost of disposing of the old sheets, I am considering over-cladding it with metal sheet with a matching profile, once I have swept off the moss.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this and are there any particular problems that I may encounter?

By the way: I have checked with our local council and they will only accept three or four small sheets of asbestos per year, wrapped and sealed and with a permit, so I cannot simply dispose of the old roof myself without a contractor.

Regards,

James.

Sponsored Links
Not much chance of finding matching profiles so you may have to fit purlin bars on first so's the new sheets are fixed to a flat surface. Alternatively there are "semi-liquid" compounds, or even fibre glass systems that should be able to be laid direct onto the asbestos sheets (once given a good cleaning and priming)

Catceefer, Caution.

See you are going to brush off the Moss?

I read somewhere, possibly on the HSE web site that this activity can release the Asbestos, the reason being that the moss roots will snap off the top surface of the Sheeting and the Fibres are released.

Suggest take precautions, much as when drilling to make a fixing in this material.

As for disposal of the moss? I have not seen any recommendations at all for this? no doubt there is a HSE directive or similar about it?

Ken

Sponsored Links
hi, when i do over clad on asbestos roofs,
i 1st put a 60mm zed bar to the existing purlins then use a box profile metal roof sheets over the top with insulation quilt between

Hi
I'm pretty sure copper sulphate mixed and sprayed on to the roof will kill all the moss pretty quickly, hence one of the reason people use copper rivets and put copper on roofs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back