Asbestos? Or other 'fibreboard'?

SvL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are a family of four living in a 1930's apartment as renters

We've only just moved in (2 months ago) and therefore decorating the place only now. A few weeks ago, I saw a piece of damaged board of some sort on the ceiling of the boiler cupboard. It has been drilled into to accomodate the flu pipe and has approx 60cm's of rough, sawn, jagged edges. It is grey and has the dimpled appearance of asbestos tile. The edges where it has been broken/sawn etc are fibrous, no clean breaks... almost fluffy. The boiler maintenance guy (yes the boiler is my responsibility as per contract) refuses to touch it.

The housing company acting on behalf of the owner will not come and look. At first they told me it's 'been confirmed that it's ...one type of board of some obscure name" and now they are telling me that their research confirms that it's fibreboard which is not what they 'confirmed' in the first place. I have asked to see the paperwork that constitutes their confirmation and they have remained silent, no anwers to my emails, nothing.

It seems the only route left is to have a lab come and take a sample have it tested. If it turns out to be asbestos then i would go the official/legal route.

Before I go to the obvious expense of this, I thought I'd ask folks out there...

Are there other types of cement board that carry the trademarks of asbestos?

I wouldn't worry so much about it if it was in one peice, undamaged, tucked away, etc. But it's very damaged and right next to my children's bedroom :(

BTW, I'm not looking for opinions about asbestos being perfectly ok for one's health please. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Post a piece to the managing agent and owner, night get their attention. :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back