Asbestos testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Has anybody used these self-test asbestos sites, where you send them a sample and they email back ? I'm concerned about adhesive under parquet flooring, 1930's property. I've ordered a kit that should arrive this week but I've read an article on the web that implys that many of these testing services are actually privately owned by the same organaisations who remove asbestos and the results may not be 'honest'. I'm worried that a dodgy result might land me with massive costs as I have to have a builder in to remove an internal wall for a knock thru and the concrete floor either side may need disturbing.

Sponsored Links
You should be instructing a R&D survey from a qualified person, not relying on DIY tests when employing contractors.

Your builder should have had asbestos awareness (you are obligated to ask and confirm) and they should have a method statement/strategy for working with bitumen backing - not just running away from it.

I'll be speaking to the builder this week and I'll mention it to him. It's difficult to know who to turn to, if indeed, these testers are the same ppl as the removers, who'll try and get thousands out of you. I've read posts on here, websites etc and I can't get a consistent idea of how prevelent asbestos is in bitumen and if it is, how actually dangerous it is. There must be millions of properties of this type, with same parquet floor and with renovations over the years......yet very few ppl seem aware or willing to discuss it.

Find a UKAS accredited analyst, there are many.

In bitumen backing, the asbestos content is relatively low and of the least hazardous type. That is why suitably aware and trained tradespeople can deal with it by one one of several ways.

Your obligations as the client are within CDM Regulations 2015.

Sponsored Links
I got various bits of floor tile and chunks of artex tested when we moved in.

The results were that the tiles contained it, some artex did and others didn't. They didn't try to sell me any services, so there is no reason to believe there's some sort of giant conspiracy. Who said there was?

It was an article on the web that implied the asbestos testing and removal companies were one in the same and there was a conflict of interest, along with excessive lobbying of the government to ban all forms of working with asbestos ( Non notifiable ), even the white type which is supposedly not as risky. Anyways, I've spoken to a local asbestos firm, they've offered to test for me ( 80 quid ) though he said he's never had a positive result back for bitumen adhesive for Parquet flooring, which is good news for me. He reckons it is the 9'' x 9'' tiles that regularly test positive. I'm going to test anyway and if its clear, I can do away with the parquet and grind the bitumen off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back