Asbestos ceiling tiles

jso

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Asked to give a quote for the renovation of a flat roof extension and the removal of the 70s suspended ceiling tiles, my potential builder suggested that the tiles might contain asbestos.

I've sent away a sample. Disappointed that the "next working day email" hasn't arrived, so still awaiting the verdict.

However, I'm wondering what to do next if it is asbestos.

Would I be allowed to remove these tiles myself (wearing the appropriate cover-alls and mask
etc) and if so, what about disposal?

If not, what's it going to cost? Ceiling is 18'X15' ie 270 1' sq. tiles.

Sponsored Links
You need to read up on CDM and how it applies to you and your builder - there are serious obligations when it comes to asbestos in the workplace.

However, if you are doing it as DIY, and no contractors will be involved, then you can do what you like regarding removal but disposal is strictly controlled. Ceiling tiles are likely to contain a more dangerous type of fibre and are more risky to handle.

See HSE guidance note A2

Sponsored Links
You need to read up on CDM and how it applies to you and your builder - there are serious obligations when it comes to asbestos in the workplace.

However, if you are doing it as DIY, and no contractors will be involved, then you can do what you like regarding removal but disposal is strictly controlled. Ceiling tiles are likely to contain a more dangerous type of fibre and are more risky to handle.

See HSE guidance note A2

Finally heard back from the lab: no asbestos in our tiles! So I can remove them with impunity. Thanks for your comments and advice, though. There are other potential asbestos materials around the place: corrugated shed and stable roofing (which I have no intention of disturbing) and sheets of cementitious material used for greenhouse staging, which I sometimes sweep down, and take out and replace a couple of times each year as the tomatoes grow. I've not had those tested, but I'll bet they do contain asbestos. :(

Corrugated asbestos sheet contains some asbestos that is bound in a cement matrix. Unless you intend to drill or sand it it is pretty safe left alone.

• Thanks
Reactions: jso

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back