Asbestos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone give advise please.

nieghbour has used asbestos sheets from an old council shed to bloke falling rubble from my garden.

their garden is lowered by about 6 inches as they have dug out and leveled.

The asbestos that they have wedged in the ground sits on my side of the posts?

Does anyone have any ideal what level of asbestos this could.. be.
I have been advised to call builders in to remove at what cost I am not sure.
but with out knowing the cost i don't want to bring to much attention on it.
or
Should i remove it and place it back in their garden or in between their fence and the concrete posts.

oh yeah its cracked and broken.

Many thanks
odd job

Sponsored Links
dont move it :eek: if you can prove its your neighbours contact the council you cant just bury this stuff or dump it :rolleyes:

Thanks JB

I wouldnt dream of burying it, i did have an enviormental agency worker here last week i showed him it and he said i could get a builder in to move it?

he wasnt bothered 1 bit That it was left there.

he said very flippant taht a builder would move it, but for got to mention it could be very costly and didnt seem to care that it had been put thier by someone on my land.

I have a friend in the council area supervisor, and they said better off ringing enviormental health agency, so now i dont relay know anywhere else to go, i do try all avenues. CAB rearly answer the phone.

Does anyone have a particular department conatct number/ or section that i could contact?

P.S Both homes are owner occupied.

many thanks
OJ

Blue asbestos is very hazardous and only be removed by a professional, removal very expensive. I would tell your neigboure that you are not happy and ask them to get it removed as they are liable, if they refuse, report them to the environment agency and they will make them move it or charge them for it's removal. Good luck

Sponsored Links
HI Malc

it was teh enviornmental agency that stood in my garden and was not bothered about it, very strange indeed.

I think he just wanted a day out teh office it was with this hot weather.

I am concidering a letter to the manager at teh office as im sure the lack of concern is not right.

Thnaks

OJ

You will need to make an official complaint preferably in writing to the environmental health agency of your local council. Make sure that you keep any correspondance from them, you may need this later if you are still unsuccesful. Let me know how you get on, I may be able to advise you further

Thanks, i have to get teh liability covered they put it there before i purchased teh home i purchased it 4 years ago moved in 19years ago and it was there then, they told me they had put it there, and i was not allowed to move it, ( not for my safety i may add, but to stop earth falling in thier garden)

But now i think i may have trouble proving this was thier actions..

The panels are broken and have been wedged down my side of teh concrete posts to stop my higher garden falling into thiers.

I dont wnat this to back fire as i have no money spare for this.

I want to get pics for you on here so you can see what type this is, more concerned each day, i must look deeper into learning how to do this picture thingy

Thnak you ever so much for your help in this matter.

OJ

It's gonna be white asbestos fibre cement sheets, not really a problem if left undisturbed, but you have every right want it off your land. They can't tell you it must stay there as it is a potentially hazardous material on your boundary.

Firstly, see if your Council refuse department have an asbestos collection scheme. Many will collect a certain amount of the stuff for free, or a small charge.

You can remove it yourself if you take the basic precautions:

1) Wear a good quality mask.
2) Soak the sheets liberally with a hosepipe, before and during removal.
3) Place the sheets into plastic refuse sacks (double bag and tape up)

But I'd ask them (neighbour) to get it removed, if they refuse then say that you will remove it yourself and that any mess created on their land is not your problem, as you have given them the opportunity to do something about it. Then proceed as above. Make sure the council will take it away though.

Thank you every one for your indepth replies

I eventually rang teh new council call centre, tehy gave me local collections number, who advised me the 3 saftey precautions as above and to take it to my local tip but try to ring first to make sure the hazzerdouse skip is not full.

In the event you ahve a problem it is possible that the local council will collect it.

Best advise is to say some one dumped it at the side of the road and you where concerned so brought it in, but please try the local tip first so as not to use resourses

OJ :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back