Ascari 12kW Electric boiler low pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a flat which has a Dimplex (now called Powerstream I believe) Ascari 12kW Electric boiler, it is controlled by a Danfoss unit and runs 5 rads and a towel rail as well as a loop to a mains pressure HW tank. As far as I can see, the controller is demanding heat from the boiler, the boiler is also getting a supply OK.

The front of the unit displays the current water temperature as well as the water pressure. The system had been off for a few months. Initially the unit reports an Error and shows pressure of zero. The seperate external pressure gauge by the fill loop shows about 1.2 bar, I can drain the system through the relief valve and fill back up via the loop ok.The gate valves in and out of the boiler are both open.

The boiler has a function to allow the pump to run without heat to assist in bleeding, I have done this a few times (I have also bled at rads, plus the system has 2 auto air bleed valves up at the top of the pipework. After running the pump I can slowly get the pressure to build up on the boilers display, once I can get it to 0.5 bar the heating will kick in and the boiler will work heat up and all the rads get hot. The pressure on the display also slowly increases, reading up to 2.3 bar after a couple of hours.

Thought that was that. However, once the demand for heating goes off, the pressure slowly drops back down, eventually ending up back below 0.5 bar and hence heating no longer coming on. All the time, the external pressure gauge on the system continues to read the same 1.2 bar.

Could it be a faulty pressure gauge? Can understand the discrepancy between the built in and external pressure readings.

Cheers in advance.

Ray

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if the boiler sensor is blocked and only responding very slowly and the external gauge is stuck!

I also suspect an expansion vessel needs recharging or replacing.

Tony

Sorry, that should have been CAN'T understand discrepancy :)

External gauge moves fine, I've depressurised and repressurised a few times. Reading a few other threads, yes, the expansion tank I will check the pressure on it (should be 1 Bar according to manual). Might strip the sensor off and see if theres any debris in it.

cheers, Ray

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back