Asphalt floor repair (or alternatives)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are a few similar posts in the flooring section but none have any usable solutions so I thought I'd try in here!

I've taken some patches of the 20mm deep asphalt coating in a room (The patches are now down to concrete)

I need to fill them in again and I am struggling to find a suitable product, the criteria is: Damp proof; Able to work within the 20-25mm available depth; Easy to level and finally it will also need to join and seal against the remaining asphalt edge.

I can't really find anything suitable. Pot hole repair stuff come to mind but I'd rather have something that I can pour as some of the areas are quite big.

Re-asphalting is obviously an option but it seems to be rarely used in indoor flooring these days and I suspect it won't be cheap!

I also wondered about a liquid damp proof down on the concrete then some other self leveling above that.

This picture is stolen from another thread but its the exact same stuff - only I have bigger areas to fill!

100_1548.jpg

Sponsored Links
Why dont you post photos of your own floor and, further, why dont you follow any suggestions offered on the other thread?

Vinn, The other post was from 2010 with few reply's. The only suggestion was to pay to have it re-asphalted. I've re-posted as i'm hoping there has been some other suitable product developed in the last 6.5 years!

The asphalt top coat seems to be a fairly popular method of damp proofing 50 year old houses but there isn't very much information around it - or on its repair (I've found A LOT of identical posts on here which don't have any replies)

I'm wasn't at the house when I wrote the post so coud't take a picture.
If it help here is a picture of my actual floor:
p1040954-jpg.103025

There are asphalt patch repair products you can buy. I think 25kg is about £80, so it depends on the size of the repair.
Getting an asphalter in is the best repair, but even for a small job it takes time to set up the pot so it normally won't be cheap.

Sponsored Links
I would look at putting in a suitable liquid damp proof membrane, ensuring it seals into the sides. Patch the hole up to existing floor level with a screen mix, and if necessary, some self levelling compound over the top for a level finish.

Is that the same floor with the bulging sulphate attack concrete ?

Nige F,

Yes it is. Are you intending to post your: "masticasphaltcouncil" pdf again?

Yes it is the floor with the sulphate heave. Really unsure about what to do with it. I don't want to bodge it but equally I don't want to spend £*000's if not absolutely necessary.
I'm guessing by that comment that you would be digging it out Nige?

I've spoken to various other people, most peoples floors are completely fine. Some peoples are a bit un-even as per this one. Two houses, out of maybe 80, have had it dug out. One is the one that I am attached to!

Had a builder who has done a lot of work on the street have a look and he didn't seem concerned by it. He did point out it could get worse quickly or just remain a bit uneven for many years.

I've attached areas showing the floor and the cracking and also the area I'll need to level if I go down this route

Attachments

• IMG_20160814_165932.jpg
    IMG_20160814_165932.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 693
  • IMG_20160814_165945.jpg
    IMG_20160814_165945.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 660
  • IMG_20160814_165951.jpg
    IMG_20160814_165951.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 622
Nige F,

Yes it is. Are you intending to post your: "masticasphaltcouncil" pdf again?
No, once is enough. Yes if it was mine I would dig the lot out and reinstate with insulation and under floor heating throughout. But I would have to take expert advice as to how much depth to remove and the exact infill to use. Simply because walking on a bumpy floor would be unsettling to me.

Last edited:
Nige F,
By your answer I assume that you agree that the floor is Tarmac not Asphalt, & that your "masticasphaltcouncil" pdf was irrelevant.

No I don't agree but I'm not wasting my time arguing with you. Please feel free to put me on ignore, and good luck with your tarmacking.

The last thing I would want is to argue with you. Perhaps you could help clear up things?

Why not simply state why you imagined Tarmac to be asphalt (& posted a pdf to reinforce your error) - & still insist that thats the case?
Surely you had reasons or were you just jumping on to the bandwagon of the also mistaken wessex101 whose post you applauded?
wessex 101 has since apologised for his foolish mistake.

I can't find Wessex's reply but was it (from memory ) where he said something like " I bow to your superior knowledge of Tarmac " In that case I also apologize in the same spirit.

If thats how wessex 101 phrased his reply and you claim to "apologise in the same spirit" then you are not apologising at all - merely muddying the waters.
A simple explanation for what you "dont agree with" would clear things up in the right spirit - dont you think?

Nige F,
By your answer I assume that you agree that the floor is Tarmac not Asphalt, & that your "masticasphaltcouncil" pdf was irrelevant.
I confess - the floor IS tarmac. And I do apologise for my foolish mistake. After much googling research I agree the floor is tarmac not asphalt, sorry about the pdf.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back