Asteroid Impact/Capture/Encounter??????

oilman said:
Since there's probably fewer than 20 people IN THE WHOLE WORLD who post on the general chat forum

Maybe a recruitment drive is needed to bring some new people from the other 'areas' on this forum!!

I suspect though, they'd take one look at the posts and think blimey I'm not going there! :LOL: :LOL:
Have you noticed everytime there is a it of tension or arguing the views on the posts are sky high.......there has to be more than 20 or so people 'tuning in' to whats going on here in general chat!

Sponsored Links
Why d some people need to post pointless posts in a thread, if younlot want to talk drivel and attack each other, why not start a specific troll thread, this is tedious.

FWL_Engineer said:
Why d some people need to post pointless posts in a thread, if younlot want to talk drivel and attack each other, why not start a specific troll thread, this is tedious.

The posts are obviously acceptable, as is the abuse, even if you don't agree with them, since the moderators don't remove them as they could under the rules. Can you say you have not made similar posts at any time? However, I accept the critism, apologies.

I have now deleted some posts to keep it clean, if I have missed any, please feel free to use "Alert the Moderators"

oilman said:
JulieL said:
It's interesting though...........have you and Freddie had a 'falling out' somewhere along the line?......hence the 'feisty' posts here.

It depends on what you would term a falling out. I would have seen it as debate in the early days where I objected to voilence and anger directed towards specific groups which then began to (or maybe it always did) include anyone who didn't share freddie's views. Since then, ANY comment I make results in accusations of following people round the forum etc etc with a sprinkling of rule breaking abuse. Since there's probably fewer than 20 people IN THE WHOLE WORLD who post on the general chat forum, it's more or less impossible not to follow someone at some time or other.

Point is Oilman i have never seen anything of value that you have posted in any debate, you just seem to want to correct someones post with an accusation--telling them what they are or think--or now some unfunny comment

I aint interested --i regard you as a t it and childish boring behaviour not just to me but others aswell, you aint funny and if i am as bad as you say i am then any sane person wouldnt post to them would they---so goodbye

Oh and by the way if you had something constructive to say on this topic for instance instead of posting your childish negative comments to those you follow around then they wouldnt post abusive replies telling you where to go and what you are, then the mods wouldnt have to delete would they? So it all lies at your door and nobody elses

Moderator,

It's pointless to carry on, so start another topic thread instead of putting it on this one. It goes off topic otherwise.

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
Anyway, this asteroid... big, innit!

Well no actually, it is simply a fragment of a splinter of a large fragment....

Most Near Earth Asteroids (NEO's) in the three main classes, Aten, Amor and Apollo, are significantly larger than this, many are several kilometers across, and Eros is some 20km on it's longest axis.

Regarding the asteroid we are discussing, and too answer an earlier question Adam, 99942 Apophis has an orbital period of 323 Earth Days and actually crosses the orbital track of Earth twice per orbit as it is a member of the Aten Family of Near Earth Asteroids

Well, if t'aint big, then I dare you to play chicken with it!

(btw, I would be far more impressed if Ceres were to come whizzing past ;) )

Adam, if Ceres was heading our way then I would be VERY VERY worried as it would mean something drastic had occured in the Asteroid belt, and it would not only be Ceres heading our way!!

And if Ceres was heading straight at us, then it would be the end game, as we would be unable to do anything except get some humans off the planet before impact.

Well, I briefly touched on the old minor planets at the start of Astrophysics lectures... IIRC Ceres is pretty big... 900km is a figure that sticks in my mind.

It would indeed mean something was rather off if it were suddenly hurtling for Earth!!!

Whilst planets are more impressive in themselves, it never ceases to amaze me how they catalogue and determine orbits for so many asteroids. And the images of some are nothing short of breath-taking.

FWL_Engineer said:
Adam, if Ceres was heading our way then I would be VERY VERY worried as it would mean something drastic had occured in the Asteroid belt, and it would not only be Ceres heading our way!!

And if Ceres was heading straight at us, then it would be the end game, as we would be unable to do anything except get some humans off the planet before impact.

well well mr.fwl -engineer looks like you have found me and otto,s astroid
if i where you i would open your christmas presants early
but according to otto,s calculations it will grase the earth,s surface like i said only otto,s calculations are avalible to me and for a small donation i can let you into the secret where is the safe place to be on the earth on inpact day.

B.O.B DOLE said:
otto,s calculations are avalible to me and for a small donation i can let you into the secret where is the safe place to be on the earth on inpact day.

Is it Cleethorpes?

petewood said:
Is it Cleethorpes?
Pete, How did you know? I was within 2 miles of Cleethorpes at the time of impact, and I survived completely unscathed :eek: :LOL:

will it be another mistake next month, should have been 29/10/05?

Sponsored Links
Back