At my wits end

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leak somewhere on my heating

It’s a combo system, the system has been in over 20 years with no problems

New boiler 4 years ago

Something has developed a leak

I have two radiators in the conservatory whose pipes are under a screed floor, I have isolated them

All the other pipes are exposed, downstairs fed by drops

There is no stains on the ceiling, nor under the floor boards upstairs, only pipe work I can’t check is in the bathroom, that is tiled, but it’s above the kitchen, no stains or water marks on the ceiling

I was going to try a leak sealer I have no used one before, I have had MB 40 in the system before and after the new boiler was fitted

I have had Valiant out to check the boiler, they said it was fine, no problems with it

So where do I go from here?

Sponsored Links
have you isolated just the boiler to make sure its not that leaking out through the condense

Yes, Vailiant did that
It’s got to the point I have to top it up every day
Nothing from the safety valve or overflow

Sponsored Links
Valiant isolated the boiler for 30 minutes, dropped .2 bar

So I am assuming it’s on the radiator side

Checked all the drain valves aren’t letting by

I bring it up to 1 bar, the hearing is on for 1 hour in the morning and 4 hours in the evening, by the morning the system says 0 bar

no sign of water though, anywhere

Doesn’t a faulty expansion vessel cause the pressure to drop?

It does but that was checked by Vailiant,

the water must be going somewhere, but I’ll be buggered if I can find it

If they isolated the boiler, and it dropped .2 bar in 30 minutes it is most likely that the heat exchanger is leaking and the water is dripping out of the condense pipe, which I doubt you would see. Or did they isolate the boiler for 30 minutes and then the pressure was stable, but dropped when they opened the valves again ?

They isolated the boiler from the radiators, 30 minutes, then open up the valves, it didn’t drop from the boiler, just when they opened the pipe work and radiators

So my thinking is it’s on the heating side (that is what they said as well, they checked heat exchanger and pressure vessel)

I put a bag over the condense pipe to see if it was that leaking, the same as the safety valve, so I am thinking it’s not the boiler

Valiant isolated the boiler for 30 minutes, dropped .2 bar

So I am assuming it’s on the radiator side

Checked all the drain valves aren’t letting by

I bring it up to 1 bar, the hearing is on for 1 hour in the morning and 4 hours in the evening, by the morning the system says 0 bar

no sign of water though, anywhere
30 mins is a complete waste of time for small leak and will show nothing needs to be left minimum over night at this time of year

Okay, when the heating goes off over night, I’ll isolate the boiler from the rads, pump it up to 2 bar and check in the morning

But as this has been going on over 2 weeks it should show somewhere

Not showing any water in the pipe work from the safety valve or condense line (bags are empty)

Not wet floors or carpets

is it worth putting in this leak sealer, I have nothing to lose

Last edited:
is it worth putting in this leak sealer, I have nothing to lose

I’m not an expert, but it has been suggested on here that that stuff will gunk up the boiler and pump and it might invalidate the boiler warranty.

Well I can’t find any water anywhere

I’ll be using 500 mil bottle, there is inhibitor in it all ready 2 litre MB40

2 rads in the conservatory completely isolated

Maybe it will work, I’ll ask Valiant what they say

How have you isolated ,completely, the 2 conservatory rads ?
Turning off the rads valves will not isolate the pipework that goes to them from the rest of the system.
And leak sealer can do more harm than good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back