atatching timber to steel beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. My question is in order to hang floor joist to the steel I have to put timber in the web and on the flange what size holes and bolts do I use for the web and what size for the plate on the flange. Secondly what spacing on both on the plans it does not specify as they are the rough plans. Thanks[/list]

Sponsored Links
It's possible to hang your joists onto the flange without any bolting to the steel at all. The joists are held by gravity and sideways movement is prevented by noggins and also to an extent by the flooring.
However, if you want or are required to bolt a timber in place then choose a piece that will fill as much as possible of the depth of the steel, thickness doesn't matter too much but 50mm or 2" would be about right to give you sufficent fixing for joist hangers .As for bolts then your best bet is to go for 12mm or 1/2" with washers. I've commonly used allthread for this purpose.
Spacings on your joists are normally governed by plasterboard widths which are 1200mm wide which gives you a spacing of 400mm center to center for your joists. Arrange your bolts to miss the joists and one bolt every other space will be more than adequate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back