Attaching ledger for Pergola

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm new to the forum, have been using it as a valuable tool for other DIY projects around the home.

I'm building my own pergola, basically its going to be against our house on a patio area. the design i'm going with is two posts, with a support beam at the front - the rafters will then sit on top of this and on top of a ledger attached to the house at the back end.

My question is - what is going to be the best way to attach the ledger to the house. Its a brick built house and i'm planning to attach the timber ledger straight to the brick - what fixing would be best - screw and rawl plug or some other means?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Anchor bolts;
0000005041381_001c_v001_zp

they come in various sizes from a well known shed.
The thick end goes into a hole in the wall so that the threaded bolt is protruding. Drill hole in your timber and fit bolt through it, then as you tighten the nut (not shown in pic and you use a large washer on front of timber) the part in the wall gets expanded and fixes it firmly in the brick work.
The packets instructions will tell you what size hole is required in the brick work.

Sponsored Links
Use some stainless washers between brick and timber too - to pack the ledger out by 10mm or so - allows mositure to run down wall or off flooring edge.

PS> These fixings in Screwfix are around 30% of the price that most sheds charge. They alos do some large washers to suit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back