Attaching metal rail to wall tiles (curved)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just bought my first house and they have left a half finished shower, which ideally I'd like to fit.

The tray (sorry if using wrong terminology) has been fitted, and the area around it tiled. Reading the instructions, I'm to attach two metal rails into the walls which the glass screens will fit into. The metal rails are fairly flexible, but the wall is far from straight (see pic). In the instructions it says they can deal with up to 1cm from straight, but this is a little more - any suggestions how to overcome this?

Thanks!

IMG_20200213_094251.jpg

Sponsored Links
Blimey, short of re-tiling perhaps you can fit spacers behind each screw fitting and then colour match a silicone. Far from ideal though.

Looking at the massive gap to the right hand side of the tray, perhaps the best thing is to rip the whole lot out and start from scratch. Sorry, extra expense but if you leave things as they are it may cost you a lot more once the tiles start falling off the walls. The walls look like bare plaster but I can't see any evidence of the use of SBR or other wall sealants.

You should never ever tile over bare plaster- see the following

http://www.mapei.com/public/US/linedocument/TB_Tiling_over_gypsum-EN.pdf

Thanks to the likes of those sites that put you in contact with other tradesmen I have increasing seen jobs where the tilers didn't bother sealing anything because that means turning up on site, applying the sealant and waiting until the next day before they can tile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back