Attaching Stud Wall To Rafters?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm renovating a 1930s semi and abit unsure about this bit....I need to put in 50mm PIR board against the (solid) external walls and then build a stud wall in front. Upstairs the rafters "cutoff" the corner of the room. I've got a picture to help understand:

//www.diynot.com/network/Geps/albums/9255/35427

Can I just use the rafters to attach my studs to? I was then going to use insulated plasterboard fixed to the rafters and use rockwool to bridge the gao, taping where necessary to form a VP.

The loft has vents in the roof itself so I don't need to worry about the rockwool blocking off soffit vents etc.

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
The 'raked' ceiling will require insulating to a high standard to prevent cold bridging and condensation related damp issues.

It is usually a case of fitting 100mm celotex etc, between the rafters as well as say a 70mm underdraw.

Once you have done this you can then fix to the underside provided you can find screws long enough.

You are ultimately trying to achieve a continuous insulation barrier from the floor up to the horizontal part of the ceiling whereby the loft insulation will take over.

Thanks Noseall, My rafters are only 50mm thick so looks like I'll need to put lots on the underside!

Also to add; you will also need an air-gap on the cold side of the insulation for venting purposes.

As with a majority of rafters they are only 75mm - 100mm deep. So 100mm plus air-gap equates to 150mm. This usually means adding a timber plant to the underside in order to gain the depth required to accommodate 100mm celotex and a 50mm gap..

Sponsored Links
I was thinking just insulate under them, leaving the 50mm depth of the rafter as the room for ventilation.

It's going to eat into my room space my rather alot!

No I'm happy to do it - just like as large a room as possible.

Anyway having spoken to Celotex and LABC the recommended course of action is to screw through the insulation with hammer fixings doing away with the need for a head plate. My rafters are actually 75mm so 25mm board inbetween with the 50mm air gap and then 50mm thermal laminate plasterboard underneath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back