Attic Conversion - Vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Looking for advice.

Converting my attic (Slated roof)

Currently have condensation dripping of the slate nails from inside the attic, quite bad on the valley roof that doesnt get any sunshine, ever.

if I install slate vents near the bottom and vented zinc ridges, install some insulation wool / board and drop down a polythene sheet from ceiling to floor and plasterboard over, will this be enought o stop it?

As I would be plasterboarding over the trusses, would I need a vent in every space in between to allow each the air flow?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If I install slate vents near the bottom and vented zinc ridges, install some insulation wool / board and drop down a polythene sheet from ceiling to floor and plasterboard over, will this be enough to stop it?
Not sure I follow this tbh.

Anyway you need ventilation at the bottom in the eaves or as low down as you can fit a vent in between every rafter. you need either a continuous ridge vent system of a tile vent as high up the roof on both sides in between every single rafter.

And call me a fussy fecker but please don't use text speak.

I thought you were a roofer btw?

Ha sorry for the text speech, habbit I guess.

Now I'm trying my hardest not to right lol or anything

Anyway.. Roofer yes but new to this one.. Have installed vents etc many times before but never saw a roof as damp as this one.

It is a slated roof, currently no insulation at all, Architect is saying he wants to see "a couple" of slate vents in the roof space before anything further happens and he wants a vented ridge..

Vented ridge no problem, full length zinc

As for the slated vents, just wanted some thoughts from other people as to wether it would be better in every rafter, (that would be 27 vents) or if a few vents (as requested from architect) would be enough on the damp side of the roof.

The rafters at the moment are bare, you can see the sarking boards and slate nails, the clients wants to insulate this with boards etc and then plasterboard over

You will need rigid insulation between the joists with a minimum 50mm airgap between the sarkin and insulation.
Then Vapour barrier or duplex foil backed plasterboard.

Normal insulation requirements would be 100mm between joists with 70mm overdraw.
If joists/trusses are not deep enough they will need battening out.

Low level ventilation can be gained by installing over fascia vents, soffit vents etc. Depending on the configuration of the the conversion will determine the type and quantity of vents.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back