Attic DW tank size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again,
Have been meaning to change my tank in the loft for a while now and want to do it this weekend.
Basically about 2 years ago i woke up one morning to a leak...tank in the attic which was about 60 years old had given up the ghost.
It was an old galvanised tank that was put in during the build.
Anyway...at the time i had a very small attic hatch and i ended up getting 4 header tanks (F&E tankls if u like) and teeing them together...its been OK but a pain in the a*se if a few showers are had and filling the bath is a no no!!...and since i just fitted a nice new jet bath i want to be able to fill it again!!!

Anyway...this is a basic 3 bed semi...one shower one toilet and one bath...what volume of a tank should i be looking for??
BTW this is non pressurised...and the shower is electric.
Cheers!
Marty.

Sponsored Links
Picked up a 40 Gallon on lunch break...hopefully be enough!!

If your shower is mains-fed then a 40 gallon CSC should be ample.

Shower is fed from this tank......its a gravity fed pumped electric

Sponsored Links
In that case you need to measure your incoming mains flow rate in the loft before you choose the size of cistern.

Oh well...i fitted it this evening!!
I take it if the flow is rubbish(which mine is in the attic...filling for well over an hour now and not really getting far fast!!)...the bigger tank i need??
Only 2 of us living here...one bath and shower combined and a toilet...what would be the norm to fit??
I can always stick a second one in beside it if push comes to shove.
Marty

I take it if the flow is rubbish(which mine is in the attic...filling for well over an hour now and not really getting far fast!!)...the bigger tank i need?
Correct.

Only 2 of us living here...one bath and shower combined and a toilet...what would be the norm to fit?
Any decent pump manufacturer would advise at least 50 gallons, but they would also advise measuring the net rate of usage, i.e. the pumped rate minus the incoming mains flow rate.

I can always stick a second one in beside it if push comes to shove.
Marty
Good call.

I can always stick a second one in beside it if push comes to shove. Marty

If you do this make sure you link them together with the outlet to the HW cylinder/shower conneced to the tank that does not have the ball valve fitted to it.

Stops the risk of water stagnating.

Cheers guys..good tip on that G4U...only read about that today to prevent stagnation...i had previously fitted 4 tanks in the attic and had not taken this into consideration!!...however on removing them this evening i realised i had fitted them correctly more by accident than design though!!

anyway...i had a wee think about the pressure and remembered that the F&E had quite a good feed...a bit of fiddling and the HW tank now has a great feed too!!...bit of plastic stuck in the ballcock!!
just had a nice long shower and 30 seconds after getting out the tank is full again so no problems there!!
Cheers,
marty.

now my next probem...immersion heater problem!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back