Difficulty accessing header tank in attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I recently turned on the cold water tap in the bathroom and a lot of mouldy dark green gunk came out. In the past there have been the odd few grains of black stuff, but this was considerably more. I realise that there is a problem with the header tank in the attic. We have a mains cold water tap in the downstairs loo so we can use that for teeth brushing etc for now.

I have 2 questions: Firstly, why is this stuff not coming out of the hot bath tap as well as the cold? We have a cylinder/tank in the airing cupboard and I assumed this was filled by the header tank as well. I hope the gunk isn't filling up the hot water cylinder! I realise that all systems are different but was hoping someone could shed light. Maybe this is filled from the mains or there is a filter.

Secondly, due to the style of our house, the attic is very small and the tank is squished up at one end and it looks pretty difficult to get to. There are no planks in the attic to enable it to be reached without risking a foot through the ceiling too. In theory I think the tank just needs cleaning and draining, but I don't think it's easy to access. If we got a plumber in, they'd need to be pretty small and bendy! Is it common for header tanks to be in difficult to reach positions? Should we get a plumber in or try to do it ourselves because I think it looks like a tricky job. If we do it ourselves, I guess it is a case of drain, clean, flush out and refill and try not to fall through ceiling.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Header tanks are often placed as high as possible to give the maximum head for a gravity shower. This tank should be pretty large - 40 gallons plus.
If you have a conventional copper cylinder, this will supply all of the hot taps with heated water.
Investigate your header tank, but board over that area of the loft so you can work there from a pair of steps.
John :)

Thanks John. Still don't understand why the black stuff doesn't come out of the hot taps too. Is it building up in the cylinder?

St0rmer66 - it's a plastic tank.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Thanks John. Still don't understand why the black stuff doesn't come out of the hot taps too. Is it building up in the cylinder?

St0rmer66 - it's a plastic tank.

Cheers
Could be settling in the bottom of the cylinder..

Well that rules out the tank rusting at least.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back