Very large tank in attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When a local plumber recently fixed an over flowing warm header tank he commented that the cold water tank in the attic was massive for the size of house. I had noticed that a thin whitish film showed on the surface of this tank and don't like the thought of it. Does this tank feed into the cold taps in the upstairs bathroom? And if so, I would guess that makes it quite unsuitable for home brewing use?
Sorry to be so dense but plumbing has never been an area of expertise for me!

Is there a safe maximum size for tanks in attics?

Sponsored Links
run the COLD taps and see if the tank fills then you will know.

I wouldn't advise using a tank of any size for potable water, unless it's a special sealed tank.

You should be using mains water.

Your storage tank in the loft may feed your toilet cistern and possibly your cold water taps in the bathroom , it will feed your Hot water taps via the HW tank this was the norm a while back, modern systems have mains fed cold to all outlets but as long as you dont drink the bathroom tap water you will be fine , your kitchen cold tap should be off the mains

Sponsored Links
Thank you - you've answered my question.

The tank feeds the bathroom taps and no, I will not be using that water for my beer making.

Good luck with the beer making I tried it once and the source of the water was the least of my worries to say what I produced was undrinkable is a gross understatement

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back