Audi A3 1.6 2007 Timing Belt & Water Pump Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am thinking of replacing the Timing Belt & Water Pump and was wondering if there are any stop dead bolts that are need to stop pulleys from being out of alignment during instalment?

Also have noticed that sometimes mechanics put Silicon Gel on the Water Pump O ring and then fit pump to engine block. Not sure why this is needed if O ring is already there?

Is this job a competent DIY can do and as the engine support has to be taken off, can I use a trolley jack underneath the sump to support engine whilst support is removed?

Any other tips etc would be gratefully received.

Many Thanks All.

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty sure there aren't any locking pins used on the petrol engines, but the crankshaft and camshaft pulleys are marked (12 o'clock and 11 o'clock if I recall) so mark them with dabs of touch up paint carefully.
Familiarise yourself with the tensioner operation before releasing it and note it's position.....once released it will unload itself with it's spring.
The silicone gel isn't necessary, but the O ring mustn't distort so some soap to lube it with is good.
A trolley jack is fine to support the sump, but do pad it!
Notice the truth marks on the engine mounting when you replace it.
John :)

Just to add - if the crank pulley bolts are Ribe type, make sure you have the correct tool to undo them ......although not particularly tight, they are soft.
John :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back