Audi engine version and sourcing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for a 2008 Audi A3 diesel - Are car auctions still the cheapest place to buy?

A recent auction price for a 2008 Audi A3 Sportback 5 door with 51000 miles was £8500

Could anyone advise whether there's a significant difference between the Audi 1.9 and 2.0 litre diesel engines in terms of reliability, economy, refinement etc?

In terms of reliability, apparently there are significant oil pump drive problems with some of the 2.0 litre engines apart from the CR. Is there any way of ascertaining whether it's a CR apart from checking the engine number on the registration document? I'm hoping to buy from a auction through a third party

If it was a CR would you have any hesitation or is the 1.9 an all-round safer bet?

I also read here http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/po...ex.htm?t=91299 that the A3 2.0 TDI PD with the BKD engine doesn't suffer from the oil pump drive problem.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
hello, i'm going to get straight to the point, cos i a bit drunked, but if you want reliability buy a 1.9tdi PD. great engines.

the 2.0 twincam PDs are poor cos the oilpump drive fails. if you want to know why (my findings) mail me. have repaired too many at quite low miles. seen some big failures. i own a garage btw.

i got a 160k galaxy, neighbour got my 270k passat, all 1.9tdi with no major fails. kiss of death i know.....

just my musings......

The oilpump issue was mainly with the BLB engine. Audi changed the design later to be gear driven. A 2007 or later model should be fine but check the engine code just to be sure.

Sponsored Links
Back