Audi TT Clutch sticks down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife has an Audi TT 52 plate. Recently on a number of occasions when she selects a gear after starting the car the clutch pedal stays down after the foot is removed. We are able to physically pull the pedal up and then it works normally although a little sluggish for first few gear changes.

Is this a hydrolic pressure problem? Is it a recognised problem? Any Thoughts? Thanks

Sponsored Links
could be air and needing bled

also could be her driving ! shes keeping the clutch dipped at lights etc when she should put the car in neutral and use the handbrake

For what it's worth I reckon its a build up of crap on the shaft which the release bearing travels along causing it to stick. It is quite a good fit over the shaft and is prone to gum up with clutch plate residue, grease and moisture etc.... I replaced a clutch on my FWD TT and the pedal was always very heavy to press. After the clutch swap (which incidentally had only cost me £38! Just bought a pattern centre plate as the bearing and pressure plate were servicable) the pedal was so light, as i'd meticulously cleaned the output shaft splines and used copper grease on re-assembly. The car was then a joy to drive. Unusual for hydraulics to cause problems on such a new car.

It's usually the build up of spent friction material on the splines causing the driven plate to stick to the gearbox input shaft.

If it was a bent input shaft or broken spring in the driven plate it would happen all the time and not just after the car has been standing.

If it was purely hydraulic I'd expect it to happen all the time as well but...
if you don't pull the pedal back up does the clutch still remain fully disengaged ?

You could actually have a combination of 'sticky shaft', poor hydraulics AND a broken pedal return spring.

Sponsored Links
the TT has a fault with the clutch pedal. the metal part where the slave cylinder connects to the pedal breaks. starts off with the symptoms you describe, then one day it breaks leaving you unable to disengage the clutch.

new pedal, and 2 plastic clips are the only cure. bit of a pig of a job. any audi dealer should know of the fault, however you have little chance of getting them to pay for the repair.

Had this on my 2003 TT the other day. Got in and as starting car put foot on clutch which went straight to the floor with very little effort, however the clutch was still engaged. Switched off and tried starting the car in gear, but the clutch really was fully engaged.

Had to leave car, but some time later when I came to investigate, pulled the pedal with my hand and it came back up fine and has been fine since. Had a look under the dash, but nothing obvious on the pedal. Can't quite get my head around what went wrong and concerned about when it's going to happen again!

Simon

Back