Audio System - Domestic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!!

For those into geeky things, I already run small form pc's (zotac pc) and XBMC (X Box Media Centre) on a windows 7 platform to allow me to watch TV shows, movies, and music on my TV in the lougne and in my bedroom too! With all the content hosted on a central server.

I am a little stuck and thought I'd ask you all for some advice!

I want to have audio only in the kitchen and bathroom. I can have a feed from the lougne audio reciever/amp with a line out.
I have already placed a CAT5 from the lounge amp to the loft.
Also CAT5 from the kitchen to the loft.
CAT5 from the kitchen on to the ceiling.

What is a good way of accessing via the network in the house the music content?

I ideally would like to be able to select either the TV output or music.

I've already got some ceiling speakers - but unsure what to do next!

Sadly I really am stuck on a budget - little as poss right now! but some 3rd party inout would be really good!

(PS if anyone has got kit they dont want and happy to part with! drop me a line!! )

Cheers Si

Sponsored Links
How had you planned to do this when you threw the CAT5 in originally? Or were you just hoping for the best?

lol thought about using some sonos kit, but wasnt 100% decided. or rocketfish kit... but i have LAN sockets all over, min of 1 in each room, and for audio ive run a seperate feed to the loft. with a view of if all else fails... just use a amp and feed it back down via a volume control and leave it at that!!

There are lots of ways to skin this cat. Few of any quality will be cheaper than a bunch of ZP120s though.

When I compare what I can offer with Sonos against the other products in my stable: Aton (1 source, 6 zones, £1400), Systemline (£1000 for the headend + £800/room), Nuvo (4 zone, £3000), Xantech (8 zone, £6K headend + £300/keypad), Living Control, NetStreams, NaimNet - it becomes abundantly clear just what a bargain Sonos is.

My only reservation with the core zone players is with the ZP120 amp. I avoid running long lengths of cable from one. If the speaker wire goes back to a hub point then I'll always install a multichannel amp with ZP90s.

At £1500 to £2000 for 12 channels this may seem like a huge extravagance. But once one comprehends the quality and flexibility and features and performance of such a beast , then hears music or TV played through one then the cost can be easily justified.

Sponsored Links
hi ya chris,

i cant thank you enough for the info.

I am stuck between a rock and something else! I think my plan is going to have to work around putting in the back end and supporting stuff and later on when money isnt so short pick up some sonos kit!

is there anything with the sonos gear i should plan for? Many thanks once more!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back