Australia through in World Cup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Congratulations to them after the substitute goalkeeper save d a penalty, (though to be honest, not really interested in football so won't be following).
Known as the dancing keeper, he was jumping all over the place before, and even as, the player ran up to take the kick.
I remember as a child being told, by the sports master at school, we had to stand still when they ran up to take the penalty. Is this another rule that has changed?

Sponsored Links
You can move along the goal line before the kick is taken but not forward before the ball is kicked, otherwise the ref will make you take it again.
I hope New Zealand beat Costa Rica tonight and make it a double win for the Anzacs.

Are Canada playing as well?
Sadly, no. Costa Rica and NZ are playing for the last place in the World Cup.
But they're more interested in the inaugural Ice Hockey Fighting championship. Some bright spark figured most games have a good punch-up to entertain the crowd, so why not dispense with the puck altogether. Why pretend? Helmets and gloves on at all times. No biting, no gouging, no kicking and no quarter til one man is left standing.

Sponsored Links
Sadly, no. Costa Rica and NZ are playing for the last place in the World Cup.
But they're more interested in the inaugural Ice Hockey Fighting championship. Some bright spark figured most games have a good punch-up to entertain the crowd, so why not dispense with the puck altogether. Why pretend? Helmets and gloves on at all times. No biting, no gouging, no kicking and no quarter til one man is left standing.
I watched something years ago about ice hockey, and it said teams had certain players they would send on just to start a fight. It may have been a documentary or a make believe film, so whether it was real or not I don't know, but it seemed like a feasible occurrence. Good laugh watching the "fights".
Maybe in football, instead of a penalty shoot out, let the fans have a go at each other, the team with the fewest casualties goes through.

I watched something years ago about ice hockey, and it said teams had certain players they would send on just to start a fight. It may have been a documentary or a make believe film, so whether it was real or not I don't know, but it seemed like a feasible occurrence. Good laugh watching the "fights".
Maybe in football, instead of a penalty shoot out, let the fans have a go at each other, the team with the fewest casualties goes through.
There's something in that: every team had its 'goon' who'd take care of smaller, skilful players, like Wayne 'the great' Gretzky who relied on a chap called Marty McSorley. As explained here there was an 'etiquette' to be observed by both sides - back in the day, footballers had their hard men, of course, and i remember reading in Stanley Matthews biography about his 'enforcer' Neil Franklin (i think) telling Ron Harris to leave off Stan or he'd get a seeing-to. Harris ignored the threat and next time he tackled Stan he ended up over the touchline, put there by a lunging tackle that'd start a riot nowadays.

Stanley Matthews biography about his 'enforcer' Neil Franklin (i think) telling Ron Harris to leave off Stan or he'd get a seeing-to. Harris ignored the threat and next time he tackled Stan he ended up over the touchline, put there by a lunging tackle that'd start a riot nowadays.
They just got on with it, no rolling around for ages, and I bet they didn't moisturise either.

I'm supporting Australia in the World Cup. I went to one of these playoffs a few years back against Canada in which they won then went out to Uruguay .
But they are my team

Advance Australia fair....

Congratulations to them after the substitute goalkeeper save d a penalty, (though to be honest, not really interested in football so won't be following).
Known as the dancing keeper, he was jumping all over the place before, and even as, the player ran up to take the kick.
I remember as a child being told, by the sports master at school, we had to stand still when they ran up to take the penalty. Is this another rule that has changed?
I am not an expert in football, but I see the rule has changed. I remember that rule in the past and the goalkeeper, if he moved an inch, was sent off. But some referee doesn’t bother about it. I guess it's due to the new rule if the goalkeeper moves before the penalty taker moves.

Sponsored Links
Back