auto air vent valve leaking in the loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

I have just woken up to water coming through my daughters ceiling, which is always a pleasure! So, I have been up in the loft, half asleep, and I think I have traced the problem to an auto air vent valve which I am presuming is on the heating system (which is off) which is leaking some water (not much). As there is not much water leaking I have been googling around to try and find the problem so I can fix it (hence the post). I am about to head back up there and isolate it (it has an isolating valve). And then see if things dry off. I have a few questions though.

Will it cause problems elsewhere whilst this valve is switched off?
If the valve is leaking water, is this evidence that the air vent valve has gone or symptomatic of something else?

Sponsored Links

I have just been up and turned off the valve. I also took a picture and dried everything off, just to see if water appears anywhere else. You can see on the top of the valve a wet patch, so water appears to be coming from the very top. I wonder if this has been leaking for a while.

Auto air vents always leak after a while, could possibly be due to sludge in system but they leak on clean systems aswell, ch and hw will work fine if i was you id swap it for a manual air vent.

Auto air vents are good but you've discovered they do leak. You can keep it in place and just screw the black cap in but I'd personally replace it or anther AAV or a manual thumb vent.

Go steady with the ballofix Valve as that'll be the next thing leaking if ou turn it too much. Always turn it back to on the way you turned it off!

Sponsored Links
The black screw on top was pretty much turned all the way to the right, does that sound correct as a setting?

I basically replaced like with like buying an auto air vent from screwfix for a fiver. Fitted it no problem and doesn't seem to be leaking (famous last words). This time the screw is not plastic, but there are no instructions about where to set it, any thoughts? It was screwed clockwise, I just loosed it slightly but didn't take it much further.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back