Auto-fill valve for central heating

I would also with a supersonic sound detector as air escaping from a small orifice tends to create high frequency sounds above 15 kHz.

Tony

Ultra-sonic; I've got one and it does work, in some cases. It is astonishingly effective for steam or compressed air leaks in plant-rooms, where the sound produced by the leak can be detected despite the background noise.

You'd need to blow all the water out of the low-lying sections of pipe, to allow the air to escape from the hole. You shouldn't pressurize it above the current working pressure; more pressure doesn't make the ultra-sonic sound louder. 5 or 7 psi/ 0.5 bar is adequate.

The problem is that the ultra-sonic or high-frequency sound is most easily absorbed and attenuated and is made inaudible by any covering or obstruction. It needs to be on a direct line of sight. Conversely, when someone has a party at 3 a.m Sunday morning, the low-frequency bass goes for miles and is often the only sound you can hear.

Ultra-sonic is not much use under floors.

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't pressurize it above the current working pressure; more pressure doesn't make the ultra-sonic sound louder. 5 or 7 psi/ 0.5 bar is adequate.

Why should that be?

It seems counterintuitive ?

Tony

You shouldn't pressurize it above the current working pressure; more pressure doesn't make the ultra-sonic sound louder. 5 or 7 psi/ 0.5 bar is adequate.

Why should that be?

It seems counterintuitive ?

Tony

No idea; I think it makes more noise in other frequency ranges. It may be how the electronic gizmo converts ultra-sonic to an audible sound.
Half-a-bar is adequate for all practical purposes.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back