Heating yes, hot water no! Help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Fer falcon combi boiler has been on the blink. I got some advice here as the boiler had insufficient pressure, so I tried to add pressure via the filling loop last night, and two things happened.

I turned the valves to the filling loop, but nothing as I'm aware happened, no water sound, nothing. But when i tried to turn the boiler on, it turned on fine, and worked perfectly. When it wasn't working the pressure when off was at 0.3bar and when i turned on rose to 0.6bar, but after 5 seconds shut down.

Now I turned these valves (last night) the pressure when off is still 0.3bar, but when turned on rises to 1bar and works. But I tried to turn the valves (filling loop) off and could only turn one back to how it was. The other I just could not turn back (seems stuck?) and now if I turn the hot water tap on, after 5 secs the boiler shuts down. And a light flashes telling me the central heating is on stand-by.

If I turn the boiler back on it works again, but if I turn the hot water on, it shuts down again!

Is this something to do with this valve I could not turn off (back to how it was)? I think it's the "central heating in" valve I could not turn off/back!

Also, is there any reason why I cannot add pressure when i open the valves to the filling loop?

Sponsored Links
I think the filling loop is fine. Had troubles trying to turn both valves to it. May be the valves themselves are the problem?

Sponsored Links
I don't think they are on my boiler.

There are coloured valves right under the boiler to 5 different pipes. A few inches below 2 of the pipes is the filling loop which connects 2 of the pipes together. All 5 valves for each of the pipes are in a line (at the same level). If I took out the valves connecting the filling loop, I would have to remove 2 of the pipes completely, as the valves are not directly attached to where the hose is.

I hope this makes sense? :oops:

No sense whatsoever... can you post a picture?

The five valves connected to the boiler should be left as is - in-line with the pipes they are attached to.

Anyone recognise that boiler just from the picture??

I would have guessed an Ariston about 2002 !

Tony

We would charge our £84 plus £12 for a Water regulations compliant filling loop.

But that would include a full check of the boiler.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back