Automated Valve Head - Which one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First time on here so not quite sure what info would help but this is the problem. We have a 'Y' or 'W' plan central heating system on an old anologue timer thing. The automated power head valve thing stopped working last year and jammed on central heating only. I replaced this i thought with the correct honeywell automated valve. I cant remember which one this was and the new one does not have any codes on it.

Now I can only get CH when the HW is being heated which I am thinking means the valve is stuck in the mid position? I have taken the power head off and it looks like the angle is wrong for my valve. From the central position i have about 10-15* of rotation in either direction. I am assuming if I turn hot water on only on my timer it should turn the motorised valve off and the spring holds it back to send all water to HW. If I switch to HW and CH it should turn on the motor and take it to the mid position to send it in both directions. if the thermostat is then at the right temperature on the tank it should then use the motor to take the valve all the way to CH only?

Currently I have taken the head off and set the valve by hand to mid position which means both get hot water from the boiler but has the draw back that even when the tank is at temperature there is still hot water being pumped through it.

In addition to this, above the pump there is a pipe before the valve that goes back to the cold water return to the boiler with a tap on it. Should I turn this off to ensure all water goes to HW and CH or is this a safe guard to ensure pressure or temperature or something?

Many thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back