Automated XP install with no floppy drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody, I hope this question hasn't been answered already but I can't find anything relevant.

When I install XP Pro on a desktop, I automate the process with an answer file (WINNT.SIF), not because I'm lazy but because I can include this line:

ProfilesDir="D:\Documents and Settings".

I put the file on a floppy, boot from the Windows CD and it just finds the file. :D :D :D But now I need to do it on a laptop (Dell Inspiron 1525) with no floppy drive. I searched the BIOS settings, hoping to find a way of telling it to assign A: to a USB port but there was nothing. I tried putting the answer file on a USB stick anyway but it didn't work; Windows just ignored it. :( :( :(

Does anybody know a way around this?

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I'll look into it. :) :) :)

dont forget to install windows xp you may need third party drivers for your laptops hard drive too
but you can slipstream these in to the installation disc you create with nlite (as well as the latest service packs etc)

Sponsored Links
Thanks Igorian and matt1e but it's sorted now. After two false starts (caused, I think, by failing to finalize the CD) I've got XP loaded. :D :D :D

Back