Failing to install XP Office.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am running Windows XP which is loaded with MS Works. I wish to upgrade to XP Office but I am having real problems installing the CD-rom.

These are the steps that I follow:

START =>
Control Panel =>
Add or Remove Programs =>
Add New Programs =>
Add a new program from CD-rom or floppy disc (click on CD/floppy button) =>
the Install Program from floppy disk or CD-rom and then click next box appears
click next
the Run Installation Program box appears with message Windows was unable to find the installation program. Click Back to try again. Click Browse to find installation progr manually. Click Back just takes me to the step previous.
Click Browse just takes me back to the My Documents folder.

Frustrating. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Assuming you are using the original disk, the usual method of installation is to insert the CD and let it autorun. If the setup procedure does not start automatically, Open Windows explorer or My Computer and navigate to the CD rom drive. You should see a file called Setup.exe or Install.exe. Double click this to start the installation.

Using the method you have chosen to install, when you click browse and the My documents folder is displayed, you again need to select the cd rom drive from the drop down box and then select the appropriate installer (setup.exe/install.exe).

Thanks for the help, Ian. I tried the installing via autorun to begin with but my PC seems to regard the CD-rom as a blank CD. To confirm this I tried it on the PC in my local library and it showed it to be loaded with the necessary software.

Then I tried pursuing the manual install steps as described.

As neither of these methods have worked I have followed your suggestion but am unable to locate the specific setup.exe/install.exe for this task. There are a number of setup files but they all seemed designed for chosen tasks ie printer installation, WINDOWS/System32, WINDOWS/Service Pack etc.

Sponsored Links
Benny_the_ball-valve said:
Thanks for the help, Ian. I tried the installing via autorun to begin with but my PC seems to regard the CD-rom as a blank CD. To confirm this I tried it on the PC in my local library and it showed it to be loaded with the necessary software.

Then I tried pursuing the manual install steps as described.

As neither of these methods have worked I have followed your suggestion but am unable to locate the specific setup.exe/install.exe for this task. There are a number of setup files but they all seemed designed for chosen tasks ie printer installation, WINDOWS/System32, WINDOWS/Service Pack etc.

I assume you are using a 'genuine' microsoft cd and not a pirate copy. Try cleaning the cd and your reader, it may just be a bit dirty.

Oh, sorry. This is not the original disk, it's a copy. Will that make any difference?

That will be your backup copy, will it? :eek:

Office doesn't always duplicate very well, I have had his problem on a number of occasions.

nstreet said:
Office doesn't always duplicate very well, I have had his problem on a number of occasions.

Yes, could be something in what you say re sensitivity of copies etc. How did you get round it in the end?

Good point Kev. (u wanna job :D ) Assuming it is a CD,

How old is your CD ROM drive and what is the capacity of the CD? Some older drives won't support the higher density media.

Also, some copies don't work in all drives.

Having re-read your previous post, is this a direct copy of the original, or is it a compilation? The office install files may be buried in a sub folder.

nstreet said:

Yes, could be something in what you say re sensitivity of copies etc. How did you get round it in the end?

Didn't bother in the end, just purchased backup media from Microsoft. Purchased a proper copy for home use.

Well I might just end up having to fork out for a copy myself.

Igorian said:
How old is your CD ROM drive and what is the capacity of the CD? Some older drives won't support the higher density media.

Also, some copies don't work in all drives.

Having re-read your previous post, is this a direct copy of the original, or is it a compilation? The office install files may be buried in a sub folder.

It's a laptop Dell 8600 bought last year and has a CD-rom/DVD rewriter. The XP Office copy is on a TDK CD-RWXG - written on the disk is the code as usual set of 5 x 5 character/nos. But obviously it has not got as far as asking me to input these. I think it is a direct copy of the original ie not a compilation, though not certain. I will try to check with the friend who provided it. Thanks alot guys.

Sounds to me like the "backup" copy was not finalised correctly and is therefore shown as a blank on your Drive. Some drives will read the disc (usually writers) and some won't.

Try a different drive if you can, or failing that, get someone with a writer to make a copy of it and make sure the disc is closed (finalised) properly.

Merv

Sponsored Links
Back