no emulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
i am trying to install Windows xp on a new ide hd as my old one packed up. When i insert the Xp cd a prompt comes up telling me "boot from cd rom no emulation" and stops there. I have changed the booting sequence in the BIOS, i have swapped cd rom drives, the bios can see my new hd and cd drive. I have searched on google and apart from by passing the problem by using floppy disks and Bios upgrade there is nothing else i can try. do you have any other hints? My mobo is Asus P4BM. thank u for your time.

Sponsored Links
WOW! I never saw an answer supplied, that suggested Google, to look for the answer yourself! Surely the poster did that already?

"I'm asking this" - answer "Google"...?

Asus P4's are renown for failing new installs, you must reset BIOS to default, detach any CD drive, and boot, then install, then when the system resets, reinstall the cd drive, and minimum spec, to install XP.

Windows installs a marker on the hdisk that takes over booting from the CD, even by BIOS control, like a virus, and it takes control, before you can boot from CD, to override it. You must reset BIOS, and disconnect hdisk and cd drives, to overcome it. A complete PITA, as you have to repeatedly reboot the machine with different configurations

Windows installs no such 'marker'.. The problem is probably a fairly well known bug with the XP CD which can cause it to fail to boot in certain situations.

It might work if you keep trying it, otherwise get a Linux liveCD, and clear the MBR (you can google that).

Sponsored Links
Windows installs no such 'marker'.. The problem is probably a fairly well known bug with the XP CD which can cause it to fail to boot in certain situations.

It might work if you keep trying it, otherwise get a Linux liveCD, and clear the MBR (you can google that).
Thank you

Back