Installing XP on EeePC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This post follows on from my previous re "getting rid of Linux..".
After much messing about have discovered the error of my ways in trying to install W98 (no CD drivers etc). I have an original XP disk from an old u/s machine which I decided to use instead. A problem is that it does not have SP2 on it and I have sent for this disk to add it. My EeePc book under "Installing Windows XP2" says....Insert the SP 2 disc in the DVD drive"..and then goes on to say about selecting the Boot device etc. It then says..."after the XP installation screen appears delete any existing partitions and format the partition using NTFS file system....then follow the instructions...etc. Nowhere does it mention using the XP installation disk.
Am I being thick here, I would have thought XP had to be installed first, followed by the SP2 ?
Could some kind person please tell me if I'm on the right track here, also do I understand that I must only have one big partition left on the machine before installation of XP...My simple mind sees it as needing to happen as follows: Insert XP disk...insert SP2 Disk...delete existing Partitions..follow rest of instructions, then install drivers etc from Eee PC support CD ??

Sponsored Links
yottie said:
After much messing about have discovered the error of my ways in trying to install W98

Ahh, should've listened in the firstplace shouldn't you? ;)

What you really need to do is slipstream SP3 into your XP CD.

It's a lot easier than it sounds. The instructions here should suffice: http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstream-service-pack-3-into-your-windows-xp-installation-cd

nLite has many more powerful features if you wish to explore them, but be warned it's easy to break things.

I am at a loss because I haven't read the previous thread.

But will it not format and partition your old drive and then ask you for the XP disk? Can be hard to get XP to load onto an already partitioned disk.

Can you load '98 and then upgrade to XP??

In my limited experience it doesn't matter which service pack until you have XP installed then worry about the frills

The problem was that something wouldn't recognise the XP install disk without at least SP2 being on it. I have since used nLite to slipstream SP2/3 to a new disk, the OS installed and Windows is on the hard drive but I can't get at it to open, ie No GUI at start-up, I keep getting "secondary master drive ATAPI incompatible" and "reboot and select proper boot device" Am going to include the Asus drivers disk in some more streaming but am wondering about the subsequent size of the XP installation disk !

Sponsored Links
With nLite you can slipstream to DVD, so you can include as much as you like. Alternatively, if you have a floppy, you can F6 to install disk drivers on install.

Don't know anything else about your saga, but the XP drivers for the Eeepc used to be on the Asus site for download. Without them XP was a bit crap, no wifi or sound from what I remember.

Once done though, XP runs just fine on the eeepc. Very useful little machine to adjust IP cameras when on top of a ladder. :)

Can't see anything about ladders in my manual but who reads 'em right to the end ! Managed to stream all the drivers from the Asus disk into XP and SP3, only added 50 mb. Am wailting to burn the disk from the ISO but the wife thinks I should now talk to HER. Thanks for your input, the Eeec had Xandros on it when new, decided to get rid for XP, and hopefully, am nearly there.

Have now got rid of the dreaded Xandros and XP is up and running well.

Great little machine, have started to slim down XP and it gets better every day (as long as I realise its limitations) Thanks for all your inputs.

Sponsored Links
Back