XP HOME sp2'd but now what about PROFESSIONAL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI

Got XP HOME installed on my PC from new and a while back I upgraded it online to XP SP2. I have had a XP PROFESSIONAL cd for a while from a mates PC (He used Home for some reason) but have been reluctant to install it because my PC is one of those Medion PC's that can be reinstalled to the condition it was in when I bought it by way of an D and E drive, ie you are able to wipe C drive and install it all again from D and E drive. I have used this facility and it works well.

Now I am interested in upgrading to the Professional version to make use of its extra facilities, ie my father wants me to do the repairs to his PC that I normally have to do while I am there, remotely. But what goes on with this regarding SP2. I don't want to buy a new version of Professional when I have one that is probably ok, but the version I have is pre SP2.

What do I do, help? :confused:

Sponsored Links
If you have a broadband connection, XP pro will download all the relevant updates automatically (SP2 is BIG!). Failing that, if you email me your address (email address in my profile), i'll send you a copy of SP2. You can also order it from M$.

Cheers for the answer Igorian, so are you saying even though I have XP HOME SP2, just install XP PRO (non SP2 at this point) over the top and it wont give me any problems during the install?

Yes I do have broadband so upgrading XP PRO to sp2 will be no problem.

Hmm, it's unlikely that you can just update to Pro. I would suggest backing up any important data and then installing pro from scratch, ie, delete the XP home partition (you can do this during the Pro install) and install Pro to a clean partition. You will obviously have to reinstall your applications, Internet etc.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can upgrade from home to Pro, just stick the XP Pro disc in, and off you go. Confess that I didn't have SP2 installed on my machine at the time, so this may cause you problems, as has been pointed out though I would strongly suspect you will have to re-install SP2, and will probably have to download oodles of patches / hotfixes from the windows update site. Good luck.

If you are installing XP Pro, then there really is no need to keep your XP Home back-up partition. I agree, just delete all the partitions and reformat your drive as one partition.

You can in fact produce your own SP2 CD through a process called "Slipstreaming". Google for this and you will find all manner of guides telling you how to do it. It's dead easy.

Basically, you copy the CD onto your hard-drive, then download the service pack. You then do some simple commands, and burn the resultant thing onto a CD-R. This is your XP Pro SP2 CD.

Don't know if its a bad thing on this forum to say thanks at the end thus putting your post back at the top, but I just felt your replies worthy of a thankyou.

I will try to upgrade to PRO and then SP2 it, after which I am hoping to try a bit of slipstreaming, sounds flash.

Cheers guys, very helpful. :D

happyhero said:
Don't know if its a bad thing on this forum to say thanks at the end thus putting your post back at the top, but I just felt your replies worthy of a thankyou.

I will try to upgrade to PRO and then SP2 it, after which I am hoping to try a bit of slipstreaming, sounds flash.

Cheers guys, very helpful. :D

Everyone here will appreciate it. It also guarantees further help :D

AdamW said:
If you are installing XP Pro, then there really is no need to keep your XP Home back-up partition. I agree, just delete all the partitions and reformat your drive as one partition.

You can in fact produce your own SP2 CD through a process called "Slipstreaming". Google for this and you will find all manner of guides telling you how to do it. It's dead easy.

Basically, you copy the CD onto your hard-drive, then download the service pack. You then do some simple commands, and burn the resultant thing onto a CD-R. This is your XP Pro SP2 CD.

Slipstreaming yes generally a good idea, doesn't in my experience seem to work too well with SP2. If you backup your data before hand though worth a try. Please back up first though.

Try installing XP pro over XP home first though, this could well save a load of re-installation headaches / lost data, don't know where the disks are problems.

Sponsored Links
Back