Automatic deadlock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does Yale not make an automatic deadlock night latch anymore?

One that can be double locked from the inside (with a key) and automatically deadbolts from the outside so when the door is shut, and the property empty, it can only be opened from the inside with a key. So the lock can't be opened form the outside by smashing a glass panel and reaching round.

Sponsored Links
Does Yale not make an automatic deadlock night latch anymore?

One that can be double locked from the inside (with a key) and automatically deadbolts from the outside so when the door is shut, and the property empty, it can only be opened from the inside with a key. So the lock can't be opened form the outside by smashing a glass panel and reaching round.

can you clarify what you mean?

Somebody inside the house has "double locked" with a key, i.e. you mean has locked the internal knob.

you then say the door is shut and the property empty.

How did the person who was inside the house and locked it from inside, get out, shut the door, and leave the property empty?

Two separate scenarios.

At night you double lock the knob with the key, yes.

Next day you leave the house. The door is double locked when the door is shut. So when you are out if someone broke a glass panel and reached round they wouldn’t be able to open it by moving the internal knob.

No current Yale locks seem to do this but they used to. They had an extra little bolt that depressed when the door shut and deactivated the knob.

This place sells one (an old one I think) https://www.safe.co.uk/products/yal...MI47CB8MmF7AIVQubtCh2g8g3vEAQYAyABEgIWIfD_BwE

but they’re not on the Yale website. I wondered if they have been discontinued for some reason like new fire regulations.

Sponsored Links
The "extra little bolt" is not to deactivate the knob. What it does is prevent the latchbolt being pushed back with a card attack. It deadlocks it, stopping the spring action. It does this by detecting when the door is closed.

"Double lock" is not the right term.

The Yale PBS1 is a BS 3621 lock so must have the feature you ask for, but for some reason I do not see it mentioned on the marketing page. It now says you lock the knob from the inside. You can do this while the door is open, as you are leaving the house.

It does not say that you can do it from the outside while the door is closed. You can do that with some nightlatches that do not have a keyhole on the inside, the problem being that a person inside could not get out even if they had a key. Yale 85 and 89 do that.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back